Monday, February 1, 2010

Baked Beans & Bloggy Stuff

I do a version of this dish without turkey I often serve as a side dish with steaks but this variation with turkey has been a favorite as of late. A complete meal. Gotta love casseroles.

Shelly's BBQ Baked Bean Casserole

4 slices Bacon, cut in half
1/2 a package of Ground Turkey
1/2 a Maui Sweet Onion, diced fine
1 Granny Smith Apple, diced fine
2 cloves Garlic, crushed
2 (15 oz.) cans Cannellini Beans, rinsed & drained
1/2 cup BBQ Sauce
a few twists of Black Pepper
Olive Oil for sauteing

Microwave bacon for 2 minutes till limp but not fully cooked. Set aside. Saute turkey till no pink is seen. Set aside. Saute onions till golden. Add apple saute till they start to give a bit. About 5 minutes. Add all remaining ingredients including the turkey (except bacon) mix to combine.

Pour into Pyrex casserole dish. Place bacon slices across top. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

I use the real deal BBQ sauce (they do make no/low sugar ones) I figure 1/2 cup spread out over an entire dish (a good 6 portions for non-ops) really just gives the beans the taste. I don't have issues with it but if you do there are some products out there. I use a combo of two BBQ sauces (a brown one and a redder one.)

Happy February! Tomorrow is Groundhog Day. Better be good news Phil or we're making a little trip to the taxidermy man. I need my sunny, blue skies.

I have a ton of blog giveaways planned this month. Some GREAT stuff. I'm so excited! Keep watching the blog for all the deets. February is going to be a great month. Well I should say most of February will be great...

Those of you that read the blog on a regular basis know I'm single. There is a certain holiday coming up that every single person hates. Some people call it Valentine's Day. I call it Singles Awareness Day. Need a place to commiserate (or celebrate) your single status. Join our Singles Awareness Day Facebook page. On the 14th we'll hang and stick pins in things ;)

Speaking of Facebook... The World According to Eggface also has a Facebook page. Shout out to the 1000+ fans. I'm blessed and blown away to have so many people traveling on this journey with me.

Listening to: Kings Of Leon "Use Somebody"


mesosne said...

Hi Michelle,

I'm new to your site and everyone on OH raves about how wonderful your recipes are...after browsing around for a few minutes I have to completely agree with them!!

One question for you ever post the nutrition info for your recipes and if so, where can I find it? I'm curious! THANKS!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoy my blog. I started it just to keep my friends and family up to date on my journey so it's neat to me that others have found it useful.

I don't put the nut info on my recipes because... nutrition facts can vary so widely... on my plan I use full fat cheese, full fat mayo, butter, olive oil, others may use low fat cheese or horrors that non fat toxic waste, what percentage % fat of beef or turkey, or the brand of protein you use, etc. The numbers would swing like a pendulum.

Plus serving size can vary what I eat as a 3+ year post-op is a very different amount than a 3 month, 6 month, or 4 year post-op.

What I do when I need to find the nut info is go to type in each individual ingredient, you will be given fats, carbs, cals, protein totals then you will want to divide by the # of servings you get from the dish.

I understand sparkpeople and some other sites will give you nut info too but I've not used them.

Hope this helps,

Mag's Personal Journey said...

I live in Illinois and a friend suggested your site. I love that you post recipes for others and the monkey's ass comment on the protein shakes. I have tubs of protein that i can't tolerate. I wish you could get samples of the protein you use instead of spending a bunch of money on a tub that I might not like. Thank you for blogging so us new people know what to expect and try. I am now 10 weeks postop and doing ok. I struggle with not eating enough calories and getting enough protein. I am open to any suggestions you might have.


Sue said...

First time poster, but not a first time reader! I can't wait to try your baked bean casserole. It looks delish! Thanks for all the info.

T2Nashville said...

Dear God - thank you so much for Shelly, who has brought such joy and contentment to my life. I made her BBQ Baked Bean Casserole and her Roasted Chickpeas last night, and I now look forward to my work lunches this week. Thank you for giving us the same tastes in protein powders. Thank you for giving her a love of food and flavor. Thank you for making her a caterer who is able to make food healthy and tasty for WLS patients. I thought food would no longer be as lovely as it was before my surgery, but you have allowed Shelley into my life to prove me wrong. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Love you, Shell!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that I found your site.
My husband and I both are staring our new lifes. We are both so glad that we did it. Now that I have found your site we will have wonderful meals and I can't wait to try the ice cream.


geokatgirl said...

Hey Shelly

i just made this recipe and it is in the oven slowly baking. I tweeked this fabulous recipe because i found i tossed out all our BBQ sauce because of the offending sugars (pre-op).
I subbed in 1/4 cup of sugar free maple syrup, 1/4 cup ketchup (in lieu of no BBQ sauce), some Trader Joe's hot sauce, some tomatoe paste and one can of Bush's Smokehouse baked beans for one of the canned beans.. to give it a smoky taste. Plugged it into Daily Plate and the sugars for 8-1 cup servings was low... so no worries.
Many thanks to you Shelly for making my last 9 months post op fabulously delicious.

Nikki said...

The casserole looks! I cannot wait to try! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm 9 weeks out (have been following you since I started the process with insurance back in Sept '12).

I got invited to a BBQ. I searched your recipes and found these Baked Beans. They got gobbled up by all the non-oppers... I almost didn't get any.

I was told that I get invited to dinner cuz they know I'm alwyas "gonna bring something yummy from that website."

What a compliment, I think. ha!