Thursday, January 21, 2010

A day in my pouch

Breakfast: Jamba Juice has their $1 Oatmeal deal back (Wednesday's only - for a limited time) and since the rain lifted a bit in the AM yesterday I got some outdoor exercise in then went and had a bowl of their yummy steel-cut oats with sliced banana on top (ask for no brown sugar)

If you don't have a Jamba near you. Try my Banana Walnut Oatmeal. It's a little more work then just placing an order but super yummy.

Lunch: BBQ'd Scampi Skewers on a bed of baby spinach and roasted veggies with a lemon vinaigrette. I barely made it... as I brought the shrimp in from the BBQ the heavens opened again and it began to pour. Day 4 of this. Ark building has commenced. Send critters.

Dinner: Rainy, cold, gray = time to make soup. This is sooooo good. Seriously tastes like a Philly cheese steak sandwich.


Shelly's Philly Cheesesteak Soup

1 Maui Onion, diced
3 Green Onions, diced
3-4 Mushrooms, sliced
1/4 lb. (about 4 slices) Roast Beef, chopped (I used Boar's Head Low Sodium)
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 teaspoon Garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Butter
2 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix (I use this)
1 (15 oz.) can Chicken Broth
1 cup Milk
1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
Olive Oil for sauteing

Saute onions on a low heat till golden. You want to caramelize them versus brown them. Add mushrooms cook till golden. Add beef, Worcestershire, garlic, seasonings. Make a well in the center of the pot and add butter and pancake mix. Cook 1 minute. Slowly pour broth and milk in. Add cheese. Simmer on low till soup bubbles and thickens, stirring occasionally.

Snacks: Roasted Chickpeas and 2 scoops of Protein Ice Cream eaten under 2 throw blankets curled up on the couch watching some Food Network BBQ competition. I always get sucked into those.


Listening to: The rain, the heater kicking on, random noise my PC is making, and that 80's song "Breakout" by Swing Out Sister which has been stuck in my flippin' head for 2 days since I heard it playing at the supermarket. Thinking I may need a musical exorcism. Calling the Vatican later today.

11 comments:

Chelsea's Mom said...

Ohhh..I am a soup fanatic! That looks nummy! I may have to go out and gather the ingredients and make some! Which brings my next question/suggestion: Do you have a list of "stock" items you keep on hand? I love your recipes, but whenever I see one I want to make, I have to make a trip to the store. I am wondering if I should try to stock my pantry in order to be prepared when you post a new wonderful recipe. (I live in MN and sometimes the weather is too scary to go to the store!!). Thanks!!

Lynda said...

Michelle-
Where do you find Boars Head meats? I cant find them anywhere. Thanks for all the yummy recipes...

Michelle "Shelly" said...

CM, Good idea. I will work on a list. Hope you love the soup. Hit the spot in this cold & rain.

***

Lynda, They have Boar's Head at my Henry's in Temecula (Winchester/Hwy 79 N location). Also Daniel's Apple Market in Bonsall on the 76.

Anonymous said...

Just a quick comment I get those "random" noises from my PC also,my husband this its the government hacking into us Ha HA.

Connie said...

Music exorcism!! You crack me up!!

Connie

Di said...

Tell me....what is the finished product like after you roast the chickpeas. Are they soft? How do you store them?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Corn Nut-ish... Wasabi pea-ish... Crunchy. After they cool completely I put them in a tupperware on the counter. They never last at my house longer than 3 days but I'd think a week would be fine.

Athena's Melting said...

oh yum-my! the bannana oatmeal looks delightful...

Beverly said...

I can't wait to try that soup! I think it will be fabulous during our cold Maine winter.

I agree with Chelsea's Mom, that a list of your staple pantry items would be a wonderful post someday.

Thanks for being an inspiration and for the laughs too.

Eric said...

I've surfed your site many times but the Philly Cheesesteak Soup is the first recipe I tried. I loved it! I've had a love affair with homemade soup all winter and this one has been added to the list. Going to double it next time so we have leftovers for more than a day or two. Thanks for all the great recipes and advice...

Anonymous said...

Oh mu gosh I love to try your recipes. They have made my journey so much easier. Thanks

Circlej

circlej@netins.net