Saturday, January 9, 2010

A day in my pouch

I think one of the most important things you can do as a weight loss surgery post-op is Plan Menus. This is what I ate yesterday...

Breakfast: Had some of the Turtle Protein Dip I made with Sliced Apples and Bananas. About 1/3 of what is pictured. Between the protein in the dip and the fiber in the apples I didn't think about food all morning. Always a good thing.

Lunch: I made a modified version based on what I had on hand of my Italian Bean Salad

Shelly's Italian Bean Salad (Lemony Tuna version)

1 can (15 oz.) Cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup fresh Mozzarella balls
1 can Tuna Fillets, packed in Olive Oil, drained (I use Roland Ventresca Tuna Fillets)
1 whole Cucumber, diced
1/2 cup Grape Tomatoes, halved
1 Green Onion, diced
1 Tablespoon fresh Basil, chopped
a few twists of freshly ground Black Pepper
Kosher Salt to taste

Lemon Vinaigrette: 1 part Lemon Olive Oil to 1 part Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar (any fruity vinegar will do). I use this to whiz it up.

Combine all ingredients and chill. Also great with leftover grilled chicken breast, shrimp, salmon or smoked albacore to bump up the protein. Can be spooned on top of a green salad or made into a tortilla wrap. My favorite way to eat it is just as it is out of my super cool bento box while staring at the mighty blue Pacific Ocean's crashing waves alas yesterday I had to settle for a bowl while staring at my computer screen. Damn those ever rising bills that need to be paid.

Dinner: Now you guys sitting in the deep freeze are gonna kill me for this one.

But hey... the house across the street is for sale still. Come be my neighbor.

It was actually 81°F in my 'hood. January. Insane. Anyway... so for dinner I bacon-wrapped some shrimp, skewered them and threw them on the BBQ for a few minutes. Right before they were done I basted them with a little BBQ sauce. Not a ton just a taste and served them with sauteed Zucchini and Onions (Calabacitas style)

Snacks: Those addictive Roasted Chick Peas, a Protein Smoothie (I'll post the recipe this week... err maybe... I think I took a pic) and oodles & oodles of Coffee.

Hope everyone has a GREAT weekend. Plan your meals. Seriously it helps. Days I don't plan I consume waaaaay more calories.


Sara said...

I just want to say thank you for having this blog. I recently had gastric bypass surgery on the 28th of December and recently I have been thinking "what the heck can I eat when I am totally healed and off of these weird diets?!" Your blog easily answered that question!

Your recipes seem so easy to make and cost effective too!

So, again... Thank you!

The Divine Miss T said...

Thank you for all of the "a day in the pouch" posts. I love reading what other WLS patients are eating. I have learned so much from others!

Thanks again,

Jessica said...

Thank you so very much for having this blog. I had my WLS almost 5 years ago, and I find your blog inspiring. While I've been able to keep the weight off, I've added much more body fat since I couldn't have sugar, I substituted fat. I stopped taking my vitamin and protein regimen, and it caught up with me last year when I landed in the hospital for days with an iron deficiency. I was depressed because I consider myself a foodie. I love to cook, I express my love for others thru food, and I bond over food. I've gotten better since then, and I'm working hard to stay on my vitamins and protein, and your site really helps me find ways to make my protein fun and still indulge the "foodie" side of my personality. Again, thank you so much. It may sound kind of cliche, but your blog has literally changed my life. Thank you!

sali said...

k, so 1) DANG dinner looks good.
and 2) ... girl, ARE YOU FORREAL? you mean to tell me i live in texas, suffering through 15 degree mornings ... and ... EIGHTY ONE? i always knew there was a reason i hated texas. stupid place is confused about the weather. ;o/ im running away. lol

Di said...

Here is the midwest, it's miserably cold...not just cold but freezing, bone-chilling, snot-freezing-in-your-nose cold! Just thought I would share ;-)

This time of year I notice that I really have to watch every bit that goes into my mouth. Even though my job is an active one, my activity level drops dramatically and my weight pops up about 5 lbs. Thanks for the continued ideas and creativity!

On a side-note, I am SO loving my PB2!!!! Thanks for another great product recommendation!

Laura Meaux said...

OK, so I have to agree with Beth - I think I am going to kidnap you and have you move to Louisiana. Better yet, I may come to L.A. (it was 21 degrees with the wind chill yesterday!)

I wanted to tell you that I made the goat cheese sweet peppers the other day and O M G!!! They are fab-u-lous! I can't wait to make them again!

I also tried the mint chocolate cookies. A little dry but good, nonetheless.

Thanks for your time! You really are a great resource and an inspiration to me.

Anonymous said...

Hello Shelly

I live in Alberta Canada....and NOWHERE can I find Fage yogurt or any type of Greek yogurt. Do you have any idea how to make Greek yogurt from scratch...or take plain yogurt and make it?



Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hi Brenda,

I generally use Fage 2 % but you might look for Chobani, Oikos, Trader Joes. Fages 0% is available at my Costco. You always want the non flavored kinds. Then falvor them yourself with frozen or fresh fruits, SF Syrups, savory things, etc. It tastes tart and the texture is very much like sour cream. You can use it in place of sour cream too.

Unlike regular plain yogurt it's loaded with protein and lower in carbs. So you can strain plain yogurt in cheese cloth to get a thicker product (like Greek yogurt texture) but the nutrtional stats obviously will be different.

Maybe a good Greek cookbook would have make it at home instructions or I'd try asking my supermarket store manager to order me a case.


Debbie said...

Thank you for having this blog. When I was doing my research before going for surgery I was so scared what am I going to eat after words? How am I going to eat? What about the protein? My stomach was picky before the surgery. I am 1 month after surgery and I see you site about once a day. I know that I can do this thanks for sending a positive message to all of us.