Monday, June 22, 2009

Something Sweet

BBQing burgers and making a bean salad for dinner and later these are chilling for dessert...


Shelly's Triple Strawberry Trifle

1 Shelly's Pretty in Pink Strawberry 5 Minute Cake, cut into rounds
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Strawberry Topping or Jam (I use Smucker's)
1 cup Strawberries, diced
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Vanilla Torani Syrup
1 batch Warm Vanilla Custard (recipe below)

Prepare my Strawberry 5 Minute Cake per recipe see link above. Allow to cool. Cut cake into at least 4 slices and use a cookie cutter or juice glass to make a round small enough to fit in the bottom of 4 ramekins. Spoon Strawberry Topping over cake rounds.

Divide strawberries that have been sweetened with Sugar Free Torani among the 4 ramekins.

Top with Warm Vanilla Custard.

You can eat it warm or put them in the fridge to set up for 1/2 hour. I let them chill and top with Sugar Free Land o Lakes Whipped Cream.


Shelly's Warm Vanilla Custard

2 Tablespoons of Bird's Custard Powder
2 cups Milk
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Vanilla Torani Syrup

Mix powder into a smooth paste with a little of the milk. Heat the remaining milk to almost boiling and pour onto the custard mixture. Return the mix to the pan and heat till thickened (it will bubble). Remove from heat and mix Sugar Free Syrup in. You can eat this as is warm (my favorite) poured over slices of my 5 Minute Cakes, Crumbs and Protein Souffles or chill it and it will firm up like pudding.


Speaking of something sweet. Check out these cuties I spotted on my walk today...

6 comments:

E said...

Your picture reminded me of that Tom T Hall song...

I love little baby ducks,
old pick-up trucks,
slow-moving trains, and rain
I love little country streams, sleep without dreams,
sunday school in may,
And hay
And i love you too

I love leaves in the wind, pictures of my friends,
birds in the world,
and squirrels
I love coffee in a cup,
little fuzzy pups,
bourbon in a glass,
and grass
and i love you too

I love honest open smiles,
kisses from a child,
tomatoes on the vine,
and onions
I love winners when they cry, losers when they try,
music when it's good,
and life
And i love you too

I think it's time for an eggface re write!!! We love you eggface.

ccm_crystal said...

wow, that custard looks soooo yummo!! the strawberry cake ROCKS!! I eat it all the time.

can I ask if you have anything with oatmeal?? I just love oatmeal.

Cindy said...

After catching up on several of your posts, I really only have one question....what would it cost me to move you to KC and have you be my personal chef?

Connie said...

Awwww . . .

Connie

Kim said...

Shelly,

When you say "milk" for the custard are you using soy or regular skim or what?
Thanks! this looks yummy!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

LOL TY guys, Hope you enjoy it.

On the Oatmeal Q: under my before & after pic on the left hand side of the blog type in oatmeal or best breakfast ever and you should get a bunch.

Great Q on the milk: I use 2% Regular Cows Milk on all puddings, custards as soy affects the setting of puddings. It's not impossible to set just takes longer. 2% is best. I don't use skim at all eeek blue water is what I call it ;) I don't do lowfat anything. Low carb yes, lowfat no. Fat=flavor... just practice moderation.


Everything else I use Silk Vanilla Soy or Soy Dream Vanilla in coffee, ice cream, drinks. My personal choice. 2% milk or above can be replaced (nothing below that fat content for ice cream)

~Michelle "Shelly"