Cheap weekend fun

I hate being an adult. I got paid Thursday, paid bills Friday = Broke again.

Remember when a little fairy just refilled everything when it ran out and getting the mail was fun because nothing with your name on it ever said, "AMOUNT DUE." Those were the days.

So I'm trying to do low or no cost things this weekend to save $$ for my birthday at the end of the month. I hit the Farmer's Market and got oodles of great stuff... Strawberries $5, Blueberries $4, Mandarins $4, Pluots (Apricot/Plum cross) $1, a 25 cent Cucumber and tons of Patty Pan Squash $3 and Onions $3. My pretty Farmer's Market bag was stuffed and all for under $20. I already took some of the squash and onions and roasted them. Mmmmm.

Went hiking in our local mountains. It was a perfect day for it. 73°F slight breeze with those cool cloud formations that look like dogs, ducks, ice cream cones, dogs and ducks eating ice cream cones. I swear no drugs were involved.

I did some gardening then I packed a trio of salads in my Super Cool Bento Box and took them to the park to watch the sunset. Beautiful night and best of all... FREE.


Pink Box (top left): Shelly's Roasted Squash Salad
Green Box (top right): Shelly's Malibu Fruit Salad
Blue Box (bottom left): Cucumber & Tomato Salad
Orange Box (bottom right): Shelly's Pretty in Pink Strawberry 5 Minute Protein Cake hearts.

Shelly's Roasted Squash Salad

2 cups of Roasted Veggies (I used Patty Pan Squash, Red & Maui Onions)
1 (15 oz.) can Cannellini Beans, rinsed & drained
1 Tablespoon Pesto Sauce (homemade or storebought)
2 Tablespoons Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar
1 oz. Herbed Goat Cheese, crumbled
2 Tablespoons of Pine Nuts
a few twists of Black Pepper

Roast the veggies (click on the link for detailed instructions) for 50 minutes at 425° turning twice during cooking. Allow to cool slightly.

Mix all ingredients together till well combined.

If you have Vegetarian pals or are one... this was a totally Vegetarian Bento.

More Eggface Bentos


Speaking of gardening. Take a look at my first red tomatoes of 2009.


Remind me I was soooo excited when all of these turn red and I am inundated...


It's been a great weekend so far. Hope everyone is having a nice one!