Saturday, May 16, 2009

Cool Product Alert: Mini Flatouts

Some of my pals in other states have not been able to locate my beloved Mission Carb Balance Whole Wheat Fajita Size Tortillas that I use to make yummy tortilla pizzas. To them I offer you this alternative to look for...

Flatout "Mini" & "Kidz" Size Wraps

I spotted these at my local Winco Foods and I grabbed the two flavors they had. I had seen the large size before at other stores but the nutritional stats didn't measure up to my Missions but these Flatout "Mini" & "Kidz" Size Wraps are great!

Flavor choices:

100% Stone Ground Whole Wheat
*French Toast
Southwest Chipotle
Mediterranean Herb (this would make an AWESOME pizza)
Harvest Wheat

Cinnamon Burst

I found them for 88 cents/package of 5 at Winco Foods. Here's the product locator to find a store that carries them near you. Looks like they also sell them online at that link.

Nutritional Facts (French Toast flavor - all are pretty close)

Serving Size 1
Servings Per Container 5
Calories 70 Calories from Fat 10
Total Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 14g
Sugars 3g
Protein 3g

Verdict: Yum. Soooo good. I tried the French Toast Mini and the Original Kidz and they both rocked. I made a couple of savory ones...

Shelly's Bruschetta & Cheese Flat Out Pizza - Original Kidz Size Flat Out Wrap, Provolone, Bruschetta Sauce, a sprinkle of Parmesan and Italian Seasonings.

and for the meat lovers...

Shelly's Ham & Cheese Flat Out Pizza - Original Kidz Size Flat Out Wrap, Provolone, Ham, Bruschetta Sauce, Fresh Asiago Cheese, a sprinkle of Parmesan and Italian Seasonings

and for a sweet treat (would be a super yummy breakfast) I made...

Shelly's Peanut Butter Banana Berry Flat Out Pizza - French Toast Mini Size Flat Out Wrap, Peanut Butter, Banana slices, Raspberries, drizzle of Sugar Free Maple Syrup before serving.

I baked them for 10 minutes exactly in a 375 oven on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. They were crispy and delicious. Look for 'em.


Kriste said...

They carry them at Walmart too. They are not in the regular bread section. They are over under the deli meat case.

Anonymous said...

I am heading to walmart today and will look for the minis and kids. I love the original flatouts. Thank you so much for posting this. If I cant find them at Walmart I will be buying them onlline!

Tammara, Jess and Cory said...

I just bought these on Friday at our Walmart. I can't wait to try the Pizza one. I just found out I am lactose intolerant so I was wondering what brand of Soy milk do you use? I have some Soy Silk I am going to try tomorrow morning. Just trying to see what my options are. Have a great day and thanks for such great ideas and Recipes.:)

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Our Walmart's out here in SoCal aren't very extensive :( We're getting a super expansion this year though.


Hope you guys enjoy them!


I use Silk Vanilla Soy Milk or Soy Dream Vanilla :)


rammer03 said...

Shelly, do you eat the entire pizza as your serving? What about the peanut butter one - did you eat the entire thing as your meal?


Michelle "Shelly" said...

I shared them all. I had about a whole one though.

Serving size is hard to say... what I eat as an almost 3 year post-op is a very different amount than a 3 month, 6 month, or 4 year post-op. Go with your Dr's plan.

SashaRose said...

I first want to thank you for having a such a wonderful site. I appreciate all the information and so many wonderful recipes and it's really helped me as a recent RNY patient. I wanted to alert you to a product that I use, La Banderita Xtreme Fiber Tortillas which I find at Walmart. They're soft, have great texture and taste wonderful. Compared to the Mission Carb Balance, the La Banderita Xtreme Fiber have less calories, less sodium, less carbs but much more fiber and protein. The stats on them are below. I look forward to each new recipe you share.

Thanks again.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 tortilla
Amount per Serving

Calories 72 Calories from Fat 18
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 2g 3%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 233mg 10%
Total Carbohydrate 5g 2%
Dietary Fiber 12g 48%
Sugars 0g
Protein 8g 16%
Calcium 2%
Iron 4%
Est. Percent of Calories from:
Fat 25.0% Carbs 27.8%
Protein 44.4%

Michelle "Shelly" said...

TY for the heads up. I will look for 'em and give them a try too.

Michelle said...

I'm not sure if you'll even see this comment, since it's an old post, but I wanted to say thank you for sharing this recipe! I searched online for what to do with the french bread flatbreads, and found this page. My kids and I just ate it for breakfast. It was great! :)

Anonymous said...

Trader Joe's carries a delicious vanilla almond milk that has 0 sugar. It is absolutely yummy, I use it in all kinds of recipes.