The World is Yours

Whenever I make Crockpot Carnitas (a favorite Eggface dish) I put a cup of the leftovers in a Tupperware in the freezer and then nuke it to make one of these super yummy quesadillas which mimics the flavors of a traditional Cuban sandwich.

A wedge of this is a complete meal with a cup of soup or with a little mixed green salad. We had it last night with Broccoli Cheese Soup and on New Year's Eve with other tidbits. They reheat well in a toaster oven or regular oven on a cookie sheet. So you could make them slightly ahead for a get together and then reheat when ready to serve.

OK here's an awesome Cuban themed Sunday afternoon... make this Cuban Quesadilla, a pot of Black Bean Soup and watch Scarface, one of the best movies ever made. The blog title comes from the movie in case you didn't know. Finish with a cup of coffee with a splash of Sugar Free Dulce de Leche Syrup in it. Totally doing this one weekend.


Shelly's Cuban Quesadilla

2 Mission Brand Carb Balance Whole Wheat 6" Fajita Size Tortillas
Yellow Mustard
Cold Cut Ham, thinly sliced
Dill Pickles
Leftover Crockpot Carnitas
Swiss Cheese, shredded
Pam Non-stick Cooking Spray

Heat leftover Carnitas in microwave and drain all liquids. Set aside. Brush 1 side of the tortilla with mustard. Place ham, pickles, carnitas, and cheese and top with remaining tortilla. Spray griddle pan with Pam. Grill until tortillas on both sides are browned and Swiss cheese is melty, carefully turning quesadillas over once. Remove from pan. Let stand 1 minute. Cut quesadilla into 4 wedges to serve. A pizza wheel works great to cut them.


Highlights of the Day:

* Got the coolest letter today from a blog reader that TOTALLY made my day.

Here's an excerpt: "...I thought I would be destined to only eat chicken breasts and tuna for the rest of my life. I also enjoy cooking and thought that would have to end as well. Not anymore! Your site shows me that you can have good nutritious fresh food with the RNY and have fun making it. I wanted to send you a personal thank you. So often we share ourselves here online and don't always realize how many people we touch. Thank you for having such an impact. I don't feel scared anymore (okay not as scared)..."

Thank you D. Seriously you guys reading the blog helps me keep my head in the game. I should be thanking all of you for sticking around and reading my ramblings.

Thank You.

* Going to coffee this evening with a couple of girlfriends I haven't seen in forever. Thought I'd go early and people watch a bit and take advantage of their free wifi. Should be fun.

* The sky was awesome today on my walk. I wish I had taken my camera. Big puffy white clouds, fluffy cartoony ones. It was a total "Simpsons sky." You know the beginning sequence of the Simpsons the clouds separate and the show title emerges.

Listening to: "The Best of You" Foo Fighters