Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Cramps and Cabbage

I had a headache and cramps from hell yesterday so I decided to go to the movies to try and get my mind off feeling like I wanted to carve my ovaries out of my body with a dull spoon. I went to the cheapy movie theater ($3 - 2nd run flicks) to see "P.S. I love you." Sad movie. I cried. Soooo I left the theater with my cramps from hell, a gnarly headache, a red blotchy face and all stuffed up. So much for that plan. Thankfully, I made this casserole before I left so dinner would be practically done when I got home. I was very glad I did because my headache turned in to a full fledged migraine. Ughhh.

I had a cabbage rolling around in my veggie bin that I needed to use. This is what I came up with. It was yummy.

Shelly's Beef and Cabbage Casserole

3 cups Cooked Cabbage, chopped
1 pound Ground Beef
3 cloves Garlic
1 Yellow Onion, chopped
2 Green Onions, chopped
1 Bell Pepper, chopped (I used a yellow one)
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1 can Cream of Celery Soup, undiluted
1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican Blend Cheese, divided use
1/2 teaspoon Poultry Seasoning
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons Italian Style Dry Bread Crumbs

Cook cabbage until tender. Drain well. Saute onions and pepper till golden. Add garlic cook 1 minute more. Saute ground beef till no longer pink. Drain and set aside. Combine cooked veggies, cooked beef, sour cream, soup, 1 cup of the cheese, and the seasonings. Spread mixture into a baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese and bread crumbs. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or till golden.


Lacy H. said...


this looks so delicious. I start "soft foods" tomorrow. I'm anxiously awaiting the day I can try stuff like this!

me said...

OMG............PS I love you.
My BFF and I went to see this on new years day. I have never laughed or cried so much during a movie. Hope your feeling better.

OH friend fishermry from Texas

Amie said...

This looks amazing ! My family should love it, maybe with potatoes mashed on the side for them.
I saw "PS I Love You" and blubbered through it. When it was over, I asked my friend, who did cry, "Was I the only one crying?" and the row of girls in front of us turned in unison, red eyed, and said "No !"
The theater was full of chicks. Good movie. Hope you feel better ! Amie

Anonymous said...

I LOOOVE that movie!!! Like those men weren't hot enough, they have to throw in the Irish accents! Oy vey!!!

RebekaA from OH

adetherington said...

Probably a silly question.... how do you cook cabbage? Boil it? For how long etc?

adetherington said...

I just made this tonight for dinner. I added zucchini (had to get rid of it), cheddar cheese (didn't have mexian), broccoli low fat soup (didn't have celery) and some jalepenos to get some kick since I didnt have the mexican blend. My non-ops loved it.. and so did I. YUM! Thanks Shelly!