Sunday, March 6, 2016

Healthy Crunchy Snacks

It's raining. Woo hoo. I've been looking forward to it. I ran all my errands yesterday so I could stay home today and enjoy watching it through the window. It's a perfect day to make a pot of soup and that is the plan. If you are looking for a little healthy, crunchy snack to go with soup or anything else... Here's a few of my favorite ways to get my crunch on post weight loss surgery:

Homemade Crunchy Cheese "Crackers"

Low Carb Snack Cracker Alternative

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper. Place cheese on paper about 1/2" apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until bubbly and slightly golden.

Remove from parchment and place on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil (some cheeses are oilier than others.) Cheese "crackers" will crisp completely when cool.

You can make these a day or two ahead of time. Store them in an airtight container. Great with chili, gazpacho or tomato soup, on a salad, as scoopers for chicken or tuna salad, as a snack on there own.

Roasted Chickpeas

Crunchy Healthy Snack

Rinse and drain 2 cans of Chickpeas (aka Garbanzo Beans), very well. Toss beans with a Tablespoon (I use a little less even) of olive oil, any will do, I used a basil flavored oil. Sprinkle with Kosher Salt.

Spread on a baking sheet and roast in a 400 degree oven for approx. 50 minutes, turning them every 15 minutes or so till crunchy and deep golden brown. In the last 5 minutes you can change up the flavor by sprinkling them with spices Za'atar or Curry or Chili Powder, or leave plain.

Cool completely. Store in an airtight container. If they soften, toss on a baking sheet and reheat till crisp again. They won't be around long. Soooo good. These are a great snack to take with you when traveling.

Cucumber Crackers

Low Carb Alternatives to Chips Bread Crackers

As scoopers for dips, guacamole, salads (chicken, tuna, crab, salmon, egg salad), as plated appetizers like my Greek Hummus Rounds or turned into little sandwiches... cucumbers are my go-to "cracker" choice. Bonus: you can crunch away because they are super low in calories.

15 Protein Packed and Portable Snacks

post signature


KariLove said...

Great ideas! You can do the same thing with pepperoni slices as with the cheese.

Mollie Lanphear said...

Do you find some varieties of cheese turn out better than others?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thank you! Yes, I have done Pepperoni before... in the microwave though :) That's nice on salads and as a soup topper too.


Mollie, I like sliced cheese... shredded works too but I find sometimes it is thicker in an area (high pile of shreds) and cooks at a slower rate so stays bendy. Sliced just comes out perfect every time.

Nicki said...

These look delicious! Do you use regular or low-fat cheese? Can't wait to try them; thanks for sharing!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hi Nicki, Hope you enjoy them! Nope just regular... I don't use many low fat items... they usually add a bunch of stuff that probably isn't the best for us (chemicals to mimic fat) and taste wise low fat just leaves me wanting the real thing... with the real deal I am satisfied, enjoy and move on :)

Robyn Lambert said...

I LOVE you blogs! I am new to this journey (march 8, 2016) and you have been with me from the beginning! You are an inspiration and proof that food after tummy rearrangement does not have to be boring! My husband and son (my 2 biggest supporters) love the meals i make from your blogs. They were PLEASANTLY surprised! Thank you so much!

Melissa said...

Thank you so much for your updated information. Because of your web site I am now a member of Obesity Action Coalition. Also, I love your receipes. They are easy and always Bariatric friendly. I search often for information to help me and your web site is absolutely the best that I have found.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Aww that's awesome Melissa. I am so glad. You will love the info from the OAC and I hope we'll meet one time at a Your Weight Matters event the national convention put on my the OAC roatates around the country this year it's in Washington DC.

Anonymous said...

I made the ricotta pancakes today with pumpkin spice pudding. As usual they were awesome. Thank you for your recipes and this website. I just had a revision from the sleeve to mini bypass and I don't know what I'd do without some of your recipes. Thank you so much for what you do.

Amy Patterson said...

I love the cheese crackers!! they are very satisfying when you need something crunchy and they taste like cheese-its!

Janalee said...

YES! Your chickpea recipe is exactly what I was looking for! I made some the other night with a small drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon but was a bit worried that the carbs to protein ratio wasn't acceptable for GSV. YAY that it is!! I eat an ounce at a time as an afternoon snack.