Post Weight Loss Surgery Menus: A day in my pouch

A day in my pouch is a series of blog posts to show what a typical daily menu looks like in my post weight loss surgery world. Here's what I ate yesterday...

Breakfast: Made a scrambled egg with salsa and a little sliced avocado.


More on my Weight Loss Surgery Breakfast Ideas Pinterest Page

Lunch: I bought a gorgeous cauliflower at the Farmer's Market on Saturday. I felt so bad for the farmer's in our area, that pretty snowfall the other day and several frosty nights destroyed some crops (Fuerte avocados and citrus especially.) 2014 was such a tough year with the drought and weeks of triple digit temperature. I respect those that continue to tough it out and grow our food.


Well that gorgeous cauliflower was turned into one of my favorite dinners the other night and the leftovers were lunch today (they heat up great!) If you are craving Italian food but don't want all the white carbs of pasta, make this. I had some mushrooms to use so I added those this time and I usually put fresh basil in but it froze in the snow so I added chopped green onion instead. It's a flexible recipe if you had a 1/4 of peas leftover you could add those. You could top with feta instead of mozzarella for a Greek spin.


Shelly's Cauliflower Pie

1 head of Cauliflower, cooked and mashed
1 Yellow Onion, chopped
3 Green Onions, diced
8-10 Mushrooms, sliced
3 Eggs, beaten
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated (divided use)
1 Tablespoon Oregano
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Topping
Marinara Sauce (I use jarred - Rao's is my fav)
Shredded Mozzarella

Break up cauliflower florets (my cauliflower was medium to large but like I mentioned the recipe is forgiving and slight size variations and small additions won't matter) and cook in salted water till fork tender. Drain. Mash. Saute onions and mushrooms till golden. Mix remaining ingredients together (hold back 1 Tablespoon of the Parmesan.) Pour into a 8 x 11.5 x 2 (2 qt) Pyrex casserole dish that has been sprayed with Pam non-stick cooking spray. Top with remaining cheese.


Bake at 350 for 40 minutes and place under the broiler for 5 more minutes to brown. When done I cut the pie into squares (I get 8-10 squares from the pie.) You can eat it as is but I top each square with a Tablespoon of Marinara Sauce and cheese and it goes back under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Mmmm.

More Eggface Healthy Italian Favorite Recipes

Dinner:  Super quick and easy dinner. 15 minutes from start to eating: Shelly's Philly Cheesesteak Saute. So a super yummy meal like this makes me think about my pre weight loss surgery life versus now.

Pre-op I used to hit a Philly Cheesesteak joint after work sometimes. If you know Philly you will totally understand this order... I'd order the special... a footlong amorosa roll, whiz wit cheesesteak (whiz wit = globs of cheese whiz), it came with a ton of fries (I had them add cheese and grilled onions) and a can of Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak soda (and I'd drink something else at home.) Oh and a Tastycake or 2 for dessert. I was partial to the coffee cake ones and both would be eaten at some point in the night. This wasn't an all the time thing. I loved to cook pre-op so fast food wasn't really my thing but it happened often enough to do some damage for sure. Life now: this dinner gave me the great taste I love but in a sensible way. Bottom line: I can live like this forever. Dr. Yoni Freedhoff spoke at an event I attended and he said something that really resonated with me...

"Your best weight is whatever weight you reach when you're living the healthiest life you honestly enjoy." ~Dr. Yoni Freedhoff.

We can all suffer through something for a time but generally that results in the pendulum swinging the other way just as far. We are in this forever and forever is a long time to suffer. You have to love the post weight loss surgery life you create for yourself. If you don't... change something.


5 Things to Do With Cold Cuts

Snacks: Too much coffee as usual and I made a yummy Protein Shake in the afternoon. If you are craving chocolate this would fill the bill. So good.


Shelly's Ultimate Chocolate Protein Shake

1 cup Soy Milk (any milk will do)
1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder (I used Celebrate Vitamins Chocolate Milk ENS)
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Chocolate Torani Syrup
1 Tablespoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
a few Ice Cubes

Blend on high. Top with No Sugar Added Chocolate Homemade Whipped Cream and I added a few nonpareils cause I was feeling sassy ;)

Shelly's Homemade No Sugar Added Chocolate Whipped Cream

1 cup Whipping Cream
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (any flavor will do)
2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder

Whisk till well combined. Fill whipping cream to the fill line of the whipper. Screw on the top. Insert the CO2 cartridge till it empties, unscrew that. Put the nozzle on, shake a few times and squirt away. It makes a ton, store it in the fridge for up to 10 days just give it another few shakes before squirting. Great on berries, shakes and smoothies, crepes.

More Protein Shakes and Smoothies
More Days in my pouch