Sunday, July 6, 2014

Post Weight Loss Surgery Menus: A day in my pouch

A day in my pouch is a series of blog posts to show what a typical daily menu looks like in my post weight loss surgery world. Here's yesterday's food choices...

Breakfast: Farmer's Market morning (and my Mum's birthday) though we didn't really do much different. We had lots of leftovers from the 4th to eat so we didn't even do a special birthday dinner. I promised Mum a seafood dinner near the beach next week. I bought her a latte and a pastry at Starbucks, her favorite perfume and a new knitting book. Oh I haven't showed you the gorgeous pillow she made me for my birthday last week...

I had an Iced Grande 3 pump Sugar Free Vanilla Soy Latte and I pulled this yummy treat from my purse. It's an Apple Cinnamon version of my protein squares (cross between an oatmeal cookie and a protein bar, dense and chewy.) We picked up some fruits and veggies for the week, ran a few errands (Lowes: our ceiling fan died... always something $$) and went home.

Shelly's Apple Cinnamon Homemade Protein Squares

1 3/4 cups Oatmeal, dry rolled oats
2 scoops of Vanilla Protein Powder (any flavor will work, my scoop is 60cc)
3/4 cup Non-fat Dry Milk
1/2 cup of "Stuff" (I used chopped Pecans, Golden Raisins and Unsweetened Coconut)
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon (more than original recipe to make it extra cinnamony)
1/4 cup Sugar Free Torani Syrup (any flavor will work)
1 Egg White
4 oz. Unsweetened Applesauce
2 Tablespoons extra Unsweetened Coconut for the top

Mix dry ingredients together. Add wet ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined. Spray a non-stick 9x13 baking pan with Pam non-stick cooking spray. Spread mixture in pan evenly. Sprinkle with extra unsweetened coconut. Bake at 325 for 16 minutes. Place under the broiler for a minute or 2 till top is golden. Allow to cool slightly. Cut into 20 squares.

Lunch: Leftovers from our 4th of July celebration. I made ribs and grilled zucchini this year.

Dinner: It was so hot today and no ceiling fan. Trader Joe's Chicken Asada to the rescue. A few minutes in the microwave and dinner was done. I put out a few toppings (Greek Yogurt with some McCormick's Perfect Pinch Salt Free Fiesta Citrus Seasoning sprinkled in), Guacamole, and Pico de Gallo and we made Chicken Asada Bowls basically.

Snacks: Coffee, Cherries and a hunk of a Cookies and Cream Quest Protein Bar

More Days in my pouch.

post signature


Laurie Benedict said...

I am adding the Chicken Asada to my list to my list for Trader Joe's along with their frozen roasted corn! Thank you for the ideas...:)

Laurie Benedict said...

Oh...saved the recipe for the protein bars to my Pinterest board...they look delicious!

Luka Beth said...

The protien bars look delicious.

Anonymous said...

Always love reading your blog and the inpiration it provides. I love the cushion your mum made, it's gorgeous.

D. Harkness said...

Love your adorable little dip bowls. Too cute. Going on vacation but when I get back, I'm going to try the fish packets and grilled zucchini.

Anonymous said...

My apple protein squares turned out great! I didn't have dry milk so I left it out. Added ground walnuts as my "stuff" and I also added a dram of apple flavoring. My batch made 8 bars that I'm wrapping/freezing for on the go

Anonymous said...

Ok these protein bars are really good I've made them a second time. Again I left out the dry milk, used ground walnuts, and this time used a package of Chike banana protein powder. Just before baking I sprinkled a small amount of mini chocolate chips on top. After they cooled, I cut them into small bite sizes and in the freezer they went for my anytime sweet treat. I love anything I can make a head of time. Thanks again Shelly, this recipe is a keeper!