Wednesday, September 11, 2013

How September 11th Changed My Life


The tragedy of September 11th, was one of the motivating factors in my deciding to get healthy and ultimately have weight loss surgery. After my Dad died at 67 years old (weight related death: sleep apnea, heart failure) it began to hit home that I was probably on a similar path but when I heard the stories of people evacuating the Twin Towers on 9/11 I knew...

I sat on my bed watching the horror that morning. I remember hearing the news reports that people were having to climb down 80+ flights of narrow, dark stairs to escape the buildings. The brave firefighters, many of which lost their lives that day, were squeezing past them as they climbed up with their hoses and gear to help those trapped above the impact zone. When those evacuated eventually reached the bottom they were faced with no buses, subways, or taxis and had to continue walking to safety. I watched as hundreds walked over the Brooklyn Bridge away from the area. I began to think... What if that was me? How would I ever do that? Climb down 80 flights of stairs, squeeze past those firefighters, walk for miles. I can't walk across a parking lot without being out of breath. I can't walk the length of the mall without stopping on a bench. I knew my life had to change.

It took several years before I finally was able to make that change and a few more before I made that walk across the Brooklyn Bridge...


Every September 11th I remember the day that changed us forever as a nation, the day the best and worst of humanity was displayed, the evil, the innocent lives lost, the courage, but I also remember that day as the day that changed me forever.


post signature

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing! ♥ I know this & some natural disasters that have occurred over the past few years have had me wake up realizing I could not walk any great distance & would likely die. You don't miss walking until one day you realize you can't.

Nancy said...

Wow! Beautiful and moving post. Thanks for sharing your story.
Blessings,
Nancy

Bariatric Betty said...

Great post - and love the Light a Candle - never saw that before. Thank you, Shelley!

Nancy said...

I hear you Shelly!!! That sounds like me.....I probably would have been dead had I been in one of the towers. I could not have walked that distance either. Or I would have been out of breath at each and every turn. Just had to comment....I've lost 110#. My RNY surgery was 2/28/11 and I couldn't be happier.

Tara from MI said...

Simply beautiful words to commemorate the day Michelle. Love to you today and always

Beth Ann said...

If something good can come from that day, I say it is a blessing. You have come so far and it is so great!

Sheila said...

Beautiful post. And something happy came out of such a terrible and dark day...

Linda said...

Great post. For me in a way, it was the cruise shipwreck (Costa Concordia) in Italy. I remember reading about people trying to get to safety on that ship and I knew in my heart I would not have made it.

Alexis said...

Wow, what a moment! I'm so proud of you and that moment of decision and then following through. Thank you for sharing those amazing thoughts and words.

Kelly said...

Wow! This was like reading something from inside my head. I can totally empathize, as I've thought many, many times "I would not have made it out of there alive". Thank you for such an inspiring post, as well as all of your incredible recipes and tips. Big thanks for all the hard work you must put into this blog. I can't believe the wealth of information I've found and I know I haven't seen but a fraction. I had RNY on 9/3/13 and hope to be as successful as you, Shelly. this blog has become one of my new BEST friends!

Kelly said...

Shelly - I saw a post on another page where someone was asking about your book. Have you published anything yet? If so, where can I find it?

Thanks,
Kelly

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thank you guys :)

***

Kelly, Nope, no book. My Mum is not computer savvy so maybe one day. She'd like that. I'll keep you updated. Till then you can find me...

www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com
www.facebook.com/TheWorldAccordingtoEggface
www.twitter.com/eggface
www.pinterest.com/eggface