A Couple of Berry Good Breakfasts

Went to the Farmer's Market yesterday, my usual Saturday morning routine. This week's haul: onions, mushrooms, tons of zucchini, tomatoes, and one of these gorgeous 3 packs of mixed berries. Mine had strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. This morning I cleaned them and most have been turned into breakfasts and snacks for the week.


These Berry Greek Yogurt Parfaits are a great grab and go breakfast. Sometimes I mix protein powder into the yogurt this was just Greek yogurt sweetened with Sugar Free Vanilla Torani Syrup and a scraping of a Vanilla Bean. One is berries, yogurt and topped with a sprinkle of almonds. The other has no nuts.


I put them in a plastic cup and cover them with plastic wrap. Grab one and a take off out the door. I love to take them on my walk and then find a park bench to sit and eat it. Just having them already assembled in the fridge makes making good choices easier.

I also made a batch of Protein Muffins.Which takes all of 15 minutes from beginning to eating a warm from the oven muffin. I toss 2 in a snack size baggie and you have another great grab and go breakfast or snack. I often take these when I know I am going to a coffee shop. There is not a whole lot of choices in the bakery cases for us but I never feel left out with my special muffin stash. You might want to take an extra one to share with a friend... otherwise you get "Ooooh what's that?" and suddenly you are muffin-less.


Shelly's Berry Almond Mini Protein Muffins

1 Egg, beaten
3 Tablespoons Milk
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Almond Torani Syrup
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
3 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix
2 Tablespoons Almond Meal/Flour
a few Fresh Berries (I used 6 raspberries and 12 blueberries)
1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
Pinch salt

In a measuring cup mix egg, milk, syrup and oil (applesauce or cottage cheese can sub for oil but 1 T divided between 12 muffins is really not a lot) and combine thoroughly. In a separate bowl, mix pancake mix, almond meal, protein powder and salt. Tip dry into wet and stir till combined.


Pour into a non stick mini muffin pan that has been sprayed with Pam. Drop a berry or 2 in each muffin. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Makes 12. Cooks note: Almond meal/flour is just finely ground almonds... meal = ground with skins on, flour = ground with skins off, they are interchangeable in most recipes, you can certainly make your own with a coffee grinder.


A little meal planning and prep on Sunday makes for an easier week.

Planning for success
A day in my pouch (need ideas)
Bento Box Lunches (lots of lunches)

Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's out there. My father died at 67 years old of obesity-related sleep apnea and heart failure (I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea at 35 years old.) His death was definitely one of my a-ha moments and started me on my journey to getting healthy.


Go for a walk with your Pop today, cook him a healthy meal, lead your family in good health by living your life as an example.


post signature