Saturday, September 24, 2011

Breakfast Parfection - Grab and Go Yogurt Parfaits

Breakfast parfaits are a quick and simple, high protein post weight loss surgery friendly breakfast. I make a few at a time in plastic cups, I cover them in plastic wrap which makes it easy on the mornings I am rushed I can just grab one out of the fridge and take off - don't forget your spoon!


Meal planning and simple preparations like this help to set myself up for success, with super yummy food easy for me to grab why would you ever want to hit a drive thru or bakery case. They also make a great snack, dessert or dinner on nights you just don't want to cook.

What you need:

The Protein: Greek Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, Ricotta Cheese
The Sweet: Fresh or Frozen Fruit, Apple Sauce, Canned in Juice Fruit
Something Fun and/or Crunchy: Nuts, Unsweetened Toasted Coconut, Granola, SF Chocolate Chips, Ground Flax, Wheat Germ, Pumpkin or Sunflower Seeds, Cereal, crumbled Protein Bar, a drizzle of SF Maple Syrup, SF Caramel Sauce, etc.
Other Stuff: Sugar Free Torani Syrups or SF Pudding Mix to change up flavors (I use about 1 Tablespoon of SF Torani Syrup to flavor 3 1/2 to 4 oz. of Greek Yogurt or Ricotta), you can add a few T's of Protein Powder to the yogurt or ricotta to make it pack even more of a protein punch, Plastic Cups, Plastic Wrap & Spoons

Parfaits pictured:

1. Frozen, defrosted Strawberries, SF Strawberry Torani sweetened Greek Yogurt, topped with Sliced Almonds

2. Fresh Mango, SF Coconut Torani sweetened Greek Yogurt, topped with Unsweetened, Toasted Coconut

3. Fresh Banana slices, SF Caramel Torani sweetened Greek Yogurt, topped with Walnuts and a drizzle of SF Caramel Sauce

4. Frozen, defrosted Cherries, SF Black Cherry Torani sweetened Greek Yogurt, topped with a few SF Chocolate Chips

5. Canned Pumpkin blended into SF Caramel Torani sweetened Greek Yogurt, topped with Ground Flax and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds

The combinations are endless.



post signature

11 comments:

Sheila said...

These LOOK *almost* too good to eat. I love this idea and am thinking that my 2 kiddos (ages 9&10) will absolutely gobble these up right along my hubby and I who are both post-op. :) Thank you as always for your beautiful blog!

http://thisonebody.blogspot.com/
Sheila

blegarrett said...

Do you have any tasty suggestions for those first few weeks post op. My RnY is on October 4th and am looking for some good tasting idea's. I love your blog and cant wait to try some of your recipes!
Leah
blegarrett@gmail.com

www.mytinytank.net said...

Eggface these are a great idea! I am always running out the door and many times not quite ready to eat. I can see myself grabbing one of these. I'm sold. On my way to market tomorrow and I can make these for later in the week.

Sandy said...

YUM! I will definitely be trying some of these :) I picked up some of the SF Torani's at World Market (pumpkin pie and salted caramel) today and can't wait to try them.

It was good seeing you and your mum this morning!!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks guys, Hope you enjoy them!

***

Sheila, Awww Thank you! I hope the family enjoys them :)

***

Leah, You won't be eating much but I'd definitely get a hold of some Celebrate ENS shakes (Vanilla Cake & Chocolate Milk), Greek Yogurt without the toppings, and try my Ricotta Bake on pureeds (check the pureed link on the left side of the home made for the recipe)

Best wishes & speedy healing!!

***

Sandy, Good to see you both too!!! I love how we both go with our Mom's xo

Michelle "Shelly" said...

P.S. to Sandy, Try that SF Salted Caramel in SF Cocoa on a chilly night.

Susan said...

just made smore one with greek yogurt, SF toasted marshmallow syrup, SF chocolate chips and graham crackers.

You could also use those granola thins from Nature Valley if it doesnt bother you.

Tammy said...

These little parfait cups are a great idea! Why didn't I think of that? :)
Shelly have you noticed that Fage has a different taste since it has become so popular? Now that you can get 35oz ($5.79)from Costco and most stores carry Fage it seems to me that it doesn't have the same tang or taste. My Costco also carry a huge tub (64oz)of plain Mountain High yogurt for $3.79. Sometimes I strain that to get the same Greek yogurt texture as Fage. Just curious on your opinion.

Selanda said...

Thanks for the great ideas. Love, love, love ur blog!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

OMG Susan, Sounds divine will try!

***

Tammy, Hmmm I get the 2% Fage on occasion and haven't noticed a difference in that. I know my Costco is carrying their own Kirkland brand which I'll try and remember to grab/try next trip.

***

Selanda, Thank you :)

Drive it like you STOLE it!! said...

My daughter made these with ricotta. We didn't even add Torani and she practically licked her cup clean. ;-)

~Tara