Monday, May 6, 2013

Cinco de Mayo Eats: Mini Chili Cups

I made these little Tex-Mex inspired Chili Cups last night for Cinco de Mayo and The Amazing Race (my favorite show) finale night. Way better than a huge bowl of chips and queso or a ginormous burrito the size of my forearm which is what I would have probably eaten pre weight loss surgery. Portion controlled, protein packed and delicioso!

Shelly's Mini Chili Cups

3-4 Tortillas
1/2 cup Cooked Chili (leftovers are great for this)
2-3 Tablespoons Shredded Cheese (I used Colby & Jack)

Optional toppings:
Hot Sauce or Salsa
Chopped Avocado or Guacamole
Shelly's Cilantro Lime Yogurt Dip

Spray mini muffin tin with Pam non-stick cooking spray. Using a biscuit or cookie cutter (or 1/3 cup metal measure) to cut circles from tortillas. You'll need 3 or 4 depending on the tortillas you use. I used Mission Carb Balance Whole Wheat, fajita size tortillas and needed 4 but had lots of leftover bits.

Place the cut circles in the muffin tin and bake for 5 minutes at 375. Spoon about a teaspoon of chili in each tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese.

Continue baking at 375 for 5 more minutes until cheese is melted and golden. Remove from tin. Top with optional toppings. You can fill them with anything that would go in a taco. I've done shredded cooked chicken, refried beans, taco meat in the past. Excellent party or game day appetizer. For lunch or dinner I'd serve with a green salad. Would even be great for breakfast with an egg.

Shelly's Cilantro Lime Yogurt Dip

1/4 cup Greek yogurt (2% plain)
1 Tablespoon Cilantro, chopped fine
squeeze of Lime juice
dash of Kosher Salt

Mix together. Also great to dip meat, fish, veggies or thinned with a little more lime juice and used as a salad dressing.

post signature


AmyRene said...

I love stuff like this. I am a Mexican food fiend.

TRACY said...

Do these freeze well at all?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Me to Amy :)

Tracy, I'd make them when I need them (10 minutes cook time about 5 minutes prep) save time by precutting out the circles of tortilla.

Rebecca said...

I was looking for health related website to review many issue. Now I’ve found your blog site with lots of amazing information. You did really excellent work. I’ll read your blog regular basis

Anonymous said...

I am somewhat new to this - they look amazing - but what would be the serving size? I know that I have to really get smart about portion control because in the past, I would eat the whole plate. Hope you don't mind me asking. Thanks, Becky

Michelle "Shelly" said...

I had 3 but you know portion size is something that depends on what stage you are and what your Dr recommends. When in doubt print it out and ask your Dr. or Nut.

Marie Oversmith said...

Do you ever include nutritional values for your recipes?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hi Marie, I don't put the nutritional info on my recipes because frankly that can vary so widely. I use full fat cheeses (the good stuff) others may use low fat or (horror) non fat, the % fat on beef, differences in packaged products, brands of protein, etc. will change the info dramatically. Also serving size will vary depending how far from surgery you are 7 weeks, 7 months, 7 years very different. Portions for each stage should be determined by your medical posse.

What I do when I need to find the nutrition info (on my recipes or any other) is go to a site like (nutritiondata, sparkpeople, etc.) type in each individual ingredient, this will give you cals, carbs, fats, protein gram totals, then divide those totals by the # of servings you get from the dish. It's not exact but it's close enough for me. When in doubt... print it out and bring the recipe to your Dr. or nutritionist for their thumbs up.