Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Ricki Lake Show Taping Day

I am sworn to secrecy (literally lots of legal papers were signed) about the show itself. I can't share that stuff till next month after it airs but I can give you a little glimpse into the day. I was picked up by a car service at 7:15 AM and arrived at Culver City Studios the home of The Ricki Lake Show around 10 AM.

Outside the studio

I was brought up to my dressing room.

I was told I would soon be heading to hair & makeup and to wait, watch TV, relax (yeah right). I was happy they had free wifi (Thanks Ricki) so I was able to get some stuff done and tweet and Facebook a little.

Here's a look at the inside of the dressing room...

This was the basket of goodies that I avoided all day. I did snake that bag of Apricot Shortbread cookies for Mum before I left. Shhh.

The lovely ladies in Hair & Makeup dolled me up.

I was told to go back in my dressing room to wait for wardrobe. On the way back I passed Ricki in the hall. I didn't realize it was her until she had zoomed passed me and into her dressing room which has the cutest Ricki Lake Show logo doormat in front of it. I didn't have my phone or I would have snapped a picture.

Wardrobe came in and approved my outfit and took it to be steamed. I was told to bring 3-5 outfits, no stripes, no patterns, preferably jewel tones, wear heels, no bling. I was glad they chose the outfit they did. It was the one I liked the best. I will save that picture for after the show airs.

The rest of the afternoon consisted of visits from producers who I had only chatted with by email and phone. It was nice to finally put faces to the names that have been in my inbox and on my message machine so much these past few weeks.

At one point a staff member came in a took my lunch order. My Chicken Caesar Salad was delivered and I painstakingly removed all the croutons one by one. See my 15 minutes of fame has not gone to my head. Had it gone to my head I would have requested an official crouton remover to do that laborious task for me ;) Next time.

I ate all the chicken. 4 forkfuls of lettuce.

After lunch, I was told to get dressed and await the sound person. Who came and felt me up err I mean placed a mic in my shirt. Not too long after we were brought down to a holding area backstage. Make-up people came and refreshed the lipstick I had eaten off at lunch. I sat on one of those tall director's chairs till showtime.


The show will air sometime in September on FOX. It's been picked up by 98% or something like that markets so you should be able to see it in your area (or online.) I'll let everyone know when I have an exact air date.

So yeah, well... I can chalk appearing on a talk show off the bucket list. Glad it was The Ricki Lake Show and not a Maury Povich "Who's the Baby Daddy?" episode. YOU ARE NOT THE FATHER.

post signature


Anonymous said...

I can't wait to watch it lady

Toni Lee said...

I can not imagine someone I would rather watch being interviewed than you.
Keeping my fingers crossed that there's even a cooking segment in it.
I'm just bursting with pride for you, just not very surprised that someone noticed you and wanted to share you.
What a journey you have had, and shared. Could you have imagined this 6 or 7 years ago?
You totally rock, ya know?

Anonymous said...

EGGciting! I am new to your blog and I absolutely love it! I can't get off...I went all the way back to your pre surgery blogs! I can't wait to see you on Ricki.
I had my surgery on the 9th of July! At first I was like "what the hell have I done" until a friend told me about your site, now I don't feel so limited! Thank you;-) Stacy T.

Theresa aka Tessie Rose said...

Awesome! Remind us before it airs!!

Tamera said...

I am tickled pink for you! I never watch chat shows-except for this one. And even dolled up by makeup, you look just as beautiful as your regular picture on the blog. Good work!

Azmomo2 said...

Very exciting... can't wait to see it!

The Lingo Family said...

so awesome!!!!!

Nanette said...

So great!! Can't wait to see it, please let us all know well in advance when it will be on as I am sure it will be on while I am at work and I will have to record it. So glad it was Ricki and not Maury, I am wondering if he owns his own dna lab yet??

Donna said...

So happy for you -- you are such a good representative of the bariatric community! I can say I knew your (blog) "when"! :)

Trish said...

That is soooo cool. I cannot wait to see it!!!!

Julie said...

How exciting!!

minisizeree said...

Can't wait to see it! What a wonderful way to share your experience with the rest of the world!

Claudia M. said...

You rock! Please let us know the date for when the show will air.

Denise H. said...

You look beautiful Shelly! It's going to be a long wait until it airs. Can't wait! Thanks for "representin'" the community!

catherine said...

I am so excited you are doing a show Shelly. I have thought for the full year I have been following you everyday Shelly needs a talk show/ cooking show to help the millions of people trying to live a better life not just those who have had a surgery. I wanted to ask if you have a few camera segments cooking your delish food. I loved to hear your thoughts as you cook. I recently had a group of ladies at my home. I'm waiting now for my surgery (Canadian system but I'm at the end just waiting for a visit and get the final date!) They were so sceptical how this can work long term. Asking the questions won't you miss food? I quickly grabbed the computer and brought up your blog. Wow eyes we're open wide and recipe cards were flying around the room. I did say just join the blog:) they said where has EggFace Blog been all my life! The other said I can serve this food to my family and the Queen of England. I explained one of my favourite parts of the day is to read your words sometimes more than once! This was a lovely afternoon. Everyone wanted video. So when we saw you were going on Ricki we are praying we will get it in Canada. I am going to a pot luck for 40-50 people that have had surgery. I'm a little nervous as I have not had it yet and want to bring the right food. I looked up potluck and saw mini bites. With this being summer do you have a few thoughts on great potluck ideas. It will be on a boat for 3 hours and then dinner after. As I'm new to this group I just want to bring something that is respectful for all types of surgery.
I thank you Shelly, you are one of my heroes that I wrote in my journal of gratitude. I want to come meet you at one of these conventions one day to just shake your hand and say thank you. I read that the Texas event is for USA members. Id love to come but I don't know if Canadians are allowed to this amazing conference. I hope you take a bunch of photos and blog about it.
Thank you for giving me hope to reach my goals and believe in the life I see for myself.

A quick question do you know anyone who has had surgery with spinal chord injury? I have been working hard for to get to the place I am to ok a surgery. They are very nervous. There have been only 6 people that I know about in my province and not all were successful surgeries. I would love to chat with anyone who has had the surgery and what type they have had.

Thanks Shelly,

M.Yeager @ Yeager-ific! said...

So she has a new talk show coming out? It won't be like the old ricki lake show will it?

NT said...

I was asked to be on this show (don't worry, I won't spill the deets!) but backed out of the 8/1 taping because I just didn't feel 100% comfortable putting all my "stuff" out there. Would have been great to meet you!

Angi said...

That is so awesome! Was Ricki as nice in person as she seems on the air? I'm sure she could relate to you as she has had weight issues in the past. Thanks for letting us know about your segment. I've already set my DVR! :)

Kittina said...

I think i love you THAT much more for taking mama the Knott's shortbread cookies <3<3<3 and i can't wait to see it !

Anonymous said...

Well it's nearly 9:45 pm and I've been busy all day so I taped/DVR the episode and have just finished watching it... Can I say WOW! What a powerful segment! You should be proud of who you are and what you have accomplished... You are a remarkable person and beautiful...inside and out!