Saturday, May 19, 2012

Vegas went bust

My weekend was not quite what I had planned. All week I felt kind of blah like I was fighting something off and it was getting the upper hand. Then Tuesday I got one of those half your head, hurts to move migraines.

Before weight loss surgery I used to get frequent migraines, the curl up in a fetal position in a dark room types. I was treated by a neurologist and was on medications that sort of helped. I was told that when I lost weight I might not suffer from them anymore... wrong. They are not as bad or as frequent and I am not on any medication (other than over the counter stuff I'll pop once and awhile) but I get my share of them. I have been taking note of when and it seems to be either a few days before or after my cycle (we girl's are cursed), hormonal maybe? I deal and usually a cold compress, quiet, sleep and fluids help.

Wednesday though quiet and sleep weren't an option. I had to get my butt in gear and pack and prepare for my road trip and weekend in Vegas. My head was still gnarly and the OTC stuff I was popping was not touching it. As I was packing the last of my stuff for Vegas I was feeling like crap, shaky and nauseous. I had two pals coming to pick me up for the 4 1/2 hour drive to Vegas in the AM and I sat in a heap on the floor and cried. I knew it wasn't going to happen. I made my calls to say I wouldn't be going :(

I was so sad to miss the event but even more sad to miss seeing some pals I only see once or twice a year and all the people I'd never met that were going. I had a darn cute cowgirl night outfit planned too.

I've spent the last 2 days mostly sleeping. I ended up going to the Urgent Care on Thursday afternoon and they said that something I was fighting all week was a sinus infection. I was glad at that point I had decided not to go but you know still bummed at the timing of it all. I couldn't have gotten sick last week or next... noooo. Whatcha gonna do?! It's better to be sick in your own bed then the party pooper sicky in a hotel room everyone checks on.

Moving forward. I felt much better this morning. Not 100% but good enough to go to the farmer's market for an hour or so. I got some beautiful strawberries, sweet onions, zucchini (I'm addicted to that Zucchini Pasta), apples, mushrooms (thinking Chicken Marsala), what else oh yeah a block of feta cheese. This was me this morning.

I think you can see it in my eyes I'm not 100% though I am sporting the cute capris I scored these last week on Macy's clearance rack for $17. Size 4. Woot.

Tomorrow to make up for the depressing weekend I ended up having I am going to sit and stare at the ocean for a few hours. I made this Greek inspired salad, a combination of grilled and fresh vegetables, lentils, chickpeas and feta cheese to take with me on my beach picnic.

Shelly's Beach Bean Salad

1 1/2 cups of Cooked Lentils
1 (15 oz.) can Chick Peas, rinsed and drained
Zucchini, grilled and diced
3 Tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup Feta Cheese, diced
1 Tablespoon Fresh Basil, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
1 Tablespoon Garlic Olive Oil
Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
Kosher Salt to taste
A few twists of Black Pepper

I used Trader Joe's precooked lentils (found in the refrigerated section) for this salad but if you don't have a TJ's near you just soak, cook and chill some dried lentils the day before you make the salad.

Slice the zucchini lengthwise, brush lightly with olive oil, sprinkle with Greek seasoning (a blend of oregano, black pepper, garlic, find in spice aisle) and grill on the BBQ till golden and bendy. Keeps in fridge for several days for salads, my bites or in frittatas, tortilla pizzas, my pasta-less manicotti, etc.

Dice about 6 slices of the zucchini. Add remaining ingredients and mix till well blended. Cover and refrigerate. These types of salads only get better the next day when the ingredients get a chance to love on one another. It's great to eat right away too. I stole a bite. Sooooo good.

So I'm hoping the soothing lullaby of crashing waves, warm sunshine, fresh air, a scoop of this delicious salad and whatever else I decide to pack in my super cool bento box tomorrow and all will be well again in my world. Hope all is well in your world.

post signature

10 comments:

B-Girl said...

I am so sorry you had to miss this event. It is always hard to look forward to something so fun and have to cancel. I am having WLS on Wednesday and I hope I can go to this event next year! I hope I will see you there then

B-Girl said...

I am so sorry you had to miss this! It is so hard to look forward to a great weekend of fun and have to miss it. That is a shame and I am sure everyone missed having you there. I am having WLS this Wednesday and maybe I will get to meet you at this event next year (hoping to make it) since you have been such an inspiration to me.

Lana in MI said...

I'm sorry you didn't get to go too, Shelly. You do look fabulous in that blue shirt and your new capris though! Thanks for all the fun recipes! I am very grateful to you for being such a great supporter to all of us! I find that even though I eat smaller portions I can still enjoy good food. Your fun recipes help make that possible! Hope you're back to 100% soon! Migraines are no fun. I know.

Irma B said...

Hey Michelle!
Hope you're feeling better now? Size 4, that sounds great! On your pic you look great, however your eyes are telling that you're not feeling 100%...... Migraines..... We girl's have to get used to it!

Your salad looks great, it's also a nice way to eat (more) lentils. I'm going to make it coming weekend when we organise à big bbq (together with your bites etc...)!

I know, from reading your blog, you love the Greek taste, is that correct? I'll send you a nice recipe for a great Kofta dish!

Best regards,

Irma

Ramona Jobe said...

I am so sorry you were sick. I know how horrible the migrains can be. Hopefully you will be back up and running real soon. Take care and thank you again for all the recipes.

Neen C. said...

Well howdy Shelly,

Long time, no comment. I still lurk around reading your blog though! Can't believe it's been 8 years since my WLS. Time really has flown. Still doing well and always happy to see that you are too. Your mini-muffin quiche bites have been many a lunch lifesaver at work. They heat up so perfectly in the toaster oven.

Just wanted to say congrats and that this bean salad looks faaaaab. Can't wait to make it.

-Neen C.

Anonymous said...

Love Love Love your blog. I started using your recipes during my 6 month wait for insurance to cover my WLS and I feel that's one reason everything has been so easy for me! I had my pantry stocked and recipes ready for each stage!
But, I wanted to share something with you. I know this was a sinus infection and that you have consulted nuerolgists regarding your migraines, you mentioned there seems to be a hormonal component. I have a dear friend who manages her migraines with that year round birth control pill. She says her migraines are triggered by the drop in estrogen during her cycle and keeping that level uniform prevents her migraines.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelly,
Love your blog! Have you talked with your OB about options if your migraines are hormonal? No idea if an ablation would stop it (where they zap your endometrium and you usually stop having periods, as long as you don't want to get preggers)or if the hormones would keep going. Might be worth asking....

Denise H. said...

Aw. Bummer but hope you're doing better. You can tell you're a bit peaked still. Vegas will be there next time. {HUGS}

Dennis said...

That bean salad looks wonderful and you're looking great too.