Eggface Meet & Greet: Getting Crafty - DIY Centerpieces

At yesterday's Southern California Weight Loss Surgery Meet and Greet I used some of my favorite quotes as table centerpieces. I thought I'd share for those of you who host support groups or future meet & greets. It was way cheaper than flowers, more meaningful and can be reused!

I love a good quote. Quotes to me are little gems of wisdom, inspiration, motivation you can take out and read on days you need that extra boost.


What you need:
*a collection of your favorite quotes: motivational, inspirational, funny (see below for my favs)
*paper and a printer
*glass jars (I got mine at the Dollar Tree but yard sales, thrift stores are also great places for them)
*polished stones (again $1 store but see below for alternative suggestions - 1 bag did 3 jars)
*alligator clip picture holders (AKA Memo Clips) (bought at Michael's for 33¢ each)
*laminator (optional)

On the computer I printed several of my favorite quotes (just used MS Word and a variety of different fonts), cut them out and laminated them. I have a laminator machine but most teacher supply stores, office supply stores can do this for you or skip it and just print on thicker card stock.

How to assemble: place an alligator photo clip in the center of your jar. Fill with polished stones. I chose stones because it seemed appropriate we were near a lake for our event but you could use dried beans, split peas, candy, buttons, rock salt, or beach sand would all be great too. Clip on your quote.

The quotes:

At any given moment you have the power to say: this is NOT how the story is going to end.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true! ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at the moment.

I have to exercise in the morning before my brain figures out what I'm doing. ~Marsha Doble

Just because you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town. The fight is forever.

Life is INCREDIBLE when you decide you only want the VERY BEST for yourself.

I'm not overweight. I'm just nine inches too short. ~Shelley Winters

Plenty of people miss their share of happiness, not because they never found it, but because they didn't stop to enjoy it. ~William Feather

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you will land among the stars.~Les Brown

The way you treat yourself sets the standard for others. ~Sonya Friedman

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. ~Winston S. Churchill

Take ACTION where you can take action. LET GO of what is not in your control.

I am not what happened to me. I am what I choose to become. ~-Carl Gustav Jung


You could also use these on buffet tables (names of food dishes) or weddings (table numbers.) I thought they would be great at an engagement or anniversary party if you laminated photos of the couple, baby pics, first dates, etc.

post signature

P.S. This morning I've got my computer set up by the open screen door enjoying a rare summer shower. I'm sitting here watching the puddles form with a cup of coffee. Full of thanks. Thankful the sprinkles held off till today and our Meet & Greet was a sunny day! But especially thankful for all of the awesome new friends and old pals that attended the shin-dig yesterday. I loved meeting everyone and hanging out! I'll be blogging all week about the fun and posting pictures and recipes.