Sunday, October 17, 2010

Zumba

My pal Leslie is a weight loss surgery post-op and a certified Zumba instructor. She will tweet from time to time about her Zumba-ing and her enthusiasm for it inspired me. Latin music beats, dancing, throw in some tequila and a cabana boy and we've got a party. Seriously, my only issue... it looked like a lot of steps to learn and I didn't want my first time to be in front of a room full of people. So I bought a Zumba DVD set. I figured I'd mess at home first and if I master this I MIGHT go take a class.

My review... All I can say is holy crap this @#*& makes you sweat. I just did another session and WOW I'm drenched. I haven't done all the DVDs yet it comes with 4 including a basics workout, 20-minute express workout, and sculpt-and-tone workout. You also get these cool weighted toning sticks filled with something that makes them sound like maracas. Bonus: if kept by your bed at night they can double as a weapon you can hurl at intruders.

I did realize I was soooo right to buy the DVD set versus go to a class as I am completely uncoordinated, on occasion the steps got away from me. I had a feeling if you videotaped me and played it back I probably looked like I was having some sort of seizure at times but you know... I was laughing and moving and SWEATING so bottom-line that is what matters. I think after a few rounds I will get the basic and intermediate sort of moves down but some of the hop, step, kick your foot out moves, yeah I almost ended up on my ass on those. In public, with someone next to me I fear for their safety. I might put someone's eye out. I need lots of practice.

So verdict: I had fun! I enjoyed it and that's the key to exercise, if you don't enjoy it, it probably won't happen consistently. It did feel more like dancing than exercising. It'll be perfect on a rainy day when I can't go walking or to change things up a bit from time to time, using a different muscle group helped to break stalls for me. Best part: on average, a 150 lb. person can expect to burn 536 calories during an hour of Zumba. Olé

My PSA on Exercise
post signature

12 comments:

battynurse said...

Sounds like fun. Another one of those things I've been meaning to try. Wonder if I can convince the dog to try too? Probably not, I'm guessing we're going to be walking rain or shine.
I'm right now working on making some of your fabulous sounding recipes.

erintheloser said...

Oh my goodness! I am doing Zumba for the first time today too. With the same DVD set, as well! Yay! It looks like lots of fun.

ramblinsuze said...

Holy moly! Over 500 calories??? That's awesome! And it sounds like loads of fun. I think I'll have to buy this and give it a go. I've been loving my walks, but winter will soon be upon on us here in the great northeast, so I need to find some sort of indoor activity that I like. Can't wait to try it! :D

Susidivah said...

I love Zumba! I have the DVD set too, I think it's an older one tho... I've only done it in the privacy of my apt but the new gym I belong to has classes at decent times for me! So after my surgery (Lapband) and I'm comfy to exercise more again I will try the class! Love to dance too!

erintheloser said...

Update: I just did the hour-long beginners-step thing and didn't have the energy to do the 20 minute workout. oh my goodness, Zumba is hard! How do those girls move like that!

leendadll said...

Good to know. I bought the original Zumba set, which came out 5+ years ago, and rated them the worst workout DVDs of all time (EXTREMELY unprofessional). I'm glad they got their act together with these ones!

A couple studios near me offer session. I'm highly coordinated but who can make 4:15pm classes?

In other news: Had my first lap band fill on Friday. It was way too much and I just resumed keeping liquids & food down a few minutes ago. Buuuut... I'm probably going to hit -30lbs tomorrow, so I'll take it.

Lesley said...

Aww, a shout-out for little ol' me? Why thank you!!!

So glad to hear you enjoyed Zumba! It really does burn a ton of calories. Even if I didn't love to dance, I'd probably still do it just for the calorie burn!

leendadll said...

btw: I was totally impressed to see your blog listed in "Bandwagon, Strategies for Success With the Adjustable Gastric Band"... it's the new go-to book on lap band surgery.

Tammara, Jess and Cory said...

Shelly, I love to Zumba and I started in a class and the instructor was wonderful. It is a wonderful exercise. I have a set of DVD's also that I use at home. Congratulations.
Tammara

Donut Diva said...

I took a few Zumba classes and just prayed no one had a camera there filming because I know I looked like a fool. But I will say I was so worried about getting the steps I thought about the actual workout.
Love your blog and ideas for dinners I have tried several of them and loved each one.
DD-
bandedup.blotspot.com

Lesley said...

I meant to add -- I typically burn between 800 - 1000 calories during an hour of Zumba. YMMV, but those are good numbers!

Jessica said...

So I have been incredibly inspired by your blog these last few months. I am 2 months post op -66 lbs and a total foodie. so yeah we have a few things in common. lol But back to Zumba. My girlfriend and I tried zumba on a whim and you are right to try it at home first. It is super hard and I felt like a total dork lol I have since found iron kick boxing and love it. anyway good luck and thanks for all of the recipes