Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A day in my pouch

My delicious post weight loss surgery eating day...

Breakfast: Started the day with this yummy Banana Bread Protein Smoothie. Sometimes I'll add one of those Taster's Choice or Starbuck's VIA Coffee Tubes to this one but this time I made a coffee-less version.

Shelly's Banana Bread Protein Smoothie

8 oz. Soy Milk (or 4 oz milk/4 oz. water)
1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
1 T. SF Jello Banana Pudding Mix, dry
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
dash Nutmeg
dash Ground Cloves
1/2 Banana, frozen
2-3 Ice Cubes

Place liquid in the blender first. Blend. Optional: Top with a squirt of SF Land o Lakes Whipped Cream, a dash of nutmeg and a drizzle of SF Caramel.

Lunch: I had plans to go out to lunch with a pal but they had to cancel at the last minute. The consolation prize was this delicious fresh from the oven banana muffin I suddenly had time to bake. I sliced one open and smeared it with some fluffy banana ricotta cream. I guess I'm on a banana kick.

Shelly's Banana Protein Mini Muffins

1 Egg, beaten
3 Tablespoons Milk
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Caramel)
1/2 a Banana, mashed
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
3 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix (I use this)
2 Tablespoons Almond Meal
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
Pinch salt
Optional: 2 Tablespoons Chopped Nuts

In a measuring cup mix egg, milk, syrup, banana and oil and combine thoroughly. In a separate bowl, mix pancake mix, almond meal, cinnamon, nutmeg, protein powder and salt. Tip dry into wet and stir till combined. Pour into a non stick mini muffin pan that has been sprayed with Pam. Optional: Place a nut on the top of each muffin (I used a combo of walnuts & pecans)

Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes, until knife inserted comes out clean. Makes 12.

Shelly's Fluffy Banana Ricotta Cream Filling

1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla)
1/2 a Banana, mashed

Mix together ingredients till well combined. You could whiz them in a mini food processor. Makes a great filling for mini protein muffins (generous filling for 12), crepes, dip for apples or other fruits, smeared in celery.

Dinner: Somehow chili always tastes better reheated so I thought why not make it the night before. The beans soften and the ingredients get a chance to love on each other. Much easier to eat for early post-ops when everything is softer and so much tastier the second day. Making it the night before made dinner super easy... just reheat and make a cool yogurt dip for the top.

Shelly's Night Before Turkey Chili

1 Yellow Onion, diced
3/4 pound Ground Turkey
2 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
Kosher Salt to taste
a few twists of Black Pepper
1 (15 oz) can Chopped Tomatoes with juices
1 (15 oz) can Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
1 Tablespoon Agave Syrup
Hot sauce to taste

Saute onion till golden. Add turkey and cook breaking up large pieces with a spoon, until it's no longer pink. Add garlic and seasonings. Cook for 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients and simmer on low for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool. Refrigerate overnight. Reheat and serve with Shelly's Spicy Yogurt Dip and a sprinkle of shredded cheese.

Shelly's Spicy Yogurt Dip

3 oz. Fage Greek Yogurt (I use 2%)
1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
a few splashes of Cholula Hot Sauce (or your favorite)
a dash of Southwest Seasoning (chili, paprika, garlic blend)
Kosher Salt to taste

Mix together till well combined. Great to dip meats, fish, veggies or top chili or soup.

Snacks: Oodles of coffee, another one of those yummy banana mini muffins, a cheesestick, and 4 just picked cherry tomatoes. The tomatoes are beginning to slow down now. I went outside to water and pick any ripe ones and since I didn't quite have enough for a salad, I just popped them in my mouth ;)

post signature

10 comments:

colleen said...

I'm so thankful to have found your blog. I am having surgery in three weeks and am worried about what I will eat and if I'll be able to maintain a weight loss. After years of losing and gaining I'm starting to be overwhelmed with fear about keeping it off. Your recipes are delicious and are helping me to have things to eat after....

kl said...

What is Agave Syrup?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Colleen, So nice to meet you. Best wishes with your surgery. I hope you will soon feel like I do about having weight loss surgery that it was the best gift I ever gave myself.

Hope you and your family enjoy all you try!

***

Kl: Agave Syrup (also called agave nectar) is a natural sweetener (found near the honey) made from the agave cactus. Low glycemic index value. Honey can sub.

battynurse said...

I've been on a banana kick lately too. I've been having my steel cut oats in the morning with a few walnuts and a sliced up banana and a packet of truvia. Yumm. The muffins look good. One of these days I'll find time to start baking.

Anonymous said...

Can you make it with sf pancake syrup? also I have a gluten free bisquick would that work?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

I have not used GF Bisquik... if it has a rising agent it should work, not sure.

SF Maple Syrup? in which recipe?

Carol said...

Wow...I was just about to start down the path of pumpkin recipes and now am debating on starting some banana ones....I love your recipes and your ideas.....you are incredible creative!

snrfwezl said...

Ok this banana ricotta fluffy stuff, WHERE has it been all my life? Sitting here as I type this with some fuji apple slices happily dipping bite size pieces in the banana heaven... I can see this is going to be a part of my future for sure!!

greatgastrectomy said...

I made the banana mini muffins for the second time today. I have a hard time finding/getting the pancake mix so I use the Adkins baking mix (it needs more baking soda though, so I add a teaspoon) and I use a whole banana instead of half. They're delicious!

Today I gave one to my 1 year old grandson and he devoured it in five minutes flat. It was the perfect size for him, too. Only crumbs were left over.

flyingwoman said...

Just made these muffins today to have on hand while I am travelling tomorrow. I have to say that I was dubious, but am now a believer! I upped the banana content to 1 whole banana, and they are delish! Next time I would toast my topping pecan first.

Thank you!