Thursday, May 6, 2010

Cinco de Mayo

The plan was to go out last night to a Mexican restaurant near my house and listen to some Mariachi music but a half hour before I was supposed to go I was bra-less, in sweats and my hair was up in a scrunchee. That kind of comfort wins every time. So I opted for a bowl of Protein Ice Cream and watching the American Idol results show.

Shelly's Mexican Chocolate Protein Ice Cream

1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk (or Regular Milk)
2 scoops Chocolate Protein Powder
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla)
2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon

Optional: Mexican Chocolate Cinnamon Swirl
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Hot Fudge Sauce (I used Smucker's)
a dash of Cinnamon

Mix together milk, protein, syrup, cinnamon & cocoa. I used this gadget to mix it up. It makes it airy and lump free. If you don't have one of those just whiz it on super turbo high in the blender, you want airy. Pour into ice cream maker. Follow your machine's instructions for freezing. You can eat it right away it is soft serve-ish but I like to put it in the freezer to set for an hour. If you are adding the swirl, nuke those ingredients for 20 seconds, stir and drizzle on soft serve before freezing.

Other Eggface Protein Ice Cream flavors

Protein Ice Cream 101

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Ok so I bought this Cuisenart 2qt. icecream maker 2weeks ago after reading your blog, I stuck it in my cupboard and waited to get up the nerve to use it. Well today was the day. I made your mexican choc. icecream. I think I was skeptical about how it would taste so I was'nt in a hurry to be dissappointed. OMG!!!! I was so Not disappointed. It tasted good, I must say tho if I make it again I will only eat a portion of it. It almost make me sick...Ummm Thank you from a non-skeptic Eggface believer! I so Love you Shelly.... Lisa

Dr. TriRunner said...

Follow up to Lisa's comment, and maybe Shelly you can help me out!!

I also got the cuisinart ice cream maker... and made the pistachio ice cream last night! Only something is definitely wrong in my mixture....
-I used almond milk instead of soy (possible problem #1).
-I have different protein powder, so for me, "two scoops" = 56 grams (weight.. not grams of protein). Is that 2x what you use? (possible problem #2)
-Because it was such a high powder/milk ratio, it would barely mix! And DEFINITELY was not about to pour. So I had to add TWO more cups of milk to make it "pourable" (possible problem #3)
- ... which made me add the rest of the box of pudding mix. (#4?)

Hahah.. HELP!!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Lisa, So glad you enjoyed it... it is addictive. LOL Moderation even in good choices ;)

***

Dr.Tri

I have never tried Almond Milk. Milk 2% fat content or greater should be used. Even light soy won't work... well I say won't work because it will be icy (not creamy) because of the water content. Go with 2% regular milk or I use Silk Vanilla Soy or Soy Dream Vanilla. Sure bets.

Don't double the protein powder... our bodies (experts say) only absorb 30 grams at a sitting so the rest is a waste. When I double a recipe I double everything but the protein powder.

Hope your next batch is a success. Check out those 101 tips (link on the bottom of this entry)

~Shell

Martha , Riverside, CA said...

I love your blog! I'm just starting my journey as I just had lap band last Friday. We were in the same boat to no were as I too started out in size 28 jeans and at a little more than you 335 lb.
And than I was reading about your trip to New York, what a win and congrats!, and I see you are in Temecula. I'm in Riverside.....
Love the recipes,I to look to cook, I will be reading your blog everyday to keep me going
Thank you for the time you put into it!!!!!

Sue (London) said...

I'm a "sleever" also started at 335lbs surgery a month ago and so far so good...
Much though I would love to win your ice cream maker I think the postage to BRitain would be too much so you can exclude me from it (sadly).

However inspired by your ice-creams I today made and orange and choclate protein icecream from Syntrax nectar (fuzzy navel) and grated dark choclate with orange and almonds.

Love your blog, thanks for sharing...

Tamara White said...

Just wondered if it's possible to make it without using an ice cream maker?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Not really... you get a hard popsicle. The churning adds air.

sparkle said...

This all sounds so yummy, but I am only 10 days out and on the less than yummy protein shakes. I am RNY started at 228, already lost 20 lbs. Recovery has been difficult, maybe because I'm 68..I don't feel 68. Don't have an icecream maker but know that the cuinsart is a good one.