Saturday, February 20, 2010


This casserole was supposed to have zucchini in it but I made just after taking Benadryl. So yeah, zucchini never made it in. There really needs to be a disclaimer on the packaging of Benadryl just after the "Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product" message they need to add "Do not attempt multi-ingredient casseroles." I think they'd call this a CUI... cooking under the influence.

It was already baking when I realized so I just went with it and you know it was still really really good. Just what the Dr. ordered for this sickie... warm, cozy comfort food. Tasted like a Chicken Pot Pie without the crust.

Shelly's Crustless Chicken Pot Pie

2 Boneless, Skinless Breasts, sliced into 1" pieces
1 Leek, sliced (white & light green parts only)
1 Yellow Onion, diced
3 Green Onions, diced
6 Mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 cup Frozen Peas, defrosted
1/2 cup Storebought Alfredo Sauce (I used jarred)
1 Tablespoon Powdered Chicken Base (in the soup/bullion section)
1/2 teaspoon Thyme
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Parmesan Cheese
2 Tablespoon Durkee Onions (You know the Green Bean Casserole kind)
Olive Oil for sauteing

Saute chicken till golden. Remove from pan and set aside. Saute leeks, onions and mushrooms till golden. Add garlic cook 1 minute more. Add chicken back to the pan along with remaining ingredients (except Durkee Onions and Parmesan.)

Mix till combined and pour into a Pyrex casserole dish. In a snack sized Ziploc crush the Durkee onions and Parmesan together and sprinkle on top of casserole.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes until golden.

Thank you for the lovely Get Well wishes. I still feel like crud but eh I figure if I can type I'm not dying ;)


Amanda said...

I made one of your casseroles last sunday. It has zucchini, squash, bruchetta, fettuchini sauce and i used chicken instead of ground beef. I truely think that helped me loose 3 pounds last week...LOL. it is so hearty i was full most of the day. i made anohter yesterday morning and used no meat added mushrooms and OMG. it is absolutely awesome! i am begging you to please come out with a cookbook! i am going to make this casserole sunday and see if it has the same magical effects!

Randi said...

OMG. That looks amazing. Hope you're feeling better soon!! :)

Di said...

Yum! Another delicious dish! I've been wanting to add mushrooms to everything - almost! lol

What brand Alfredo do you buy? I bought Ragu and it was kinda icky!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Amanda, Thank you for the vote of confidence. LOL I hope it works its magic toov ;)


Thanks Randi, Hope you enjoy it.


Di, I used Bertolli (jarred) for this but I tend to buy Buitoni (fresh pasta section) or Trader Joe's. All will work fine... can't really tell its jarred sauce with all the other flavors.

Barb said...

Hi Shelly,
I often make something and "forget" one of the main ingredients. I just chalk it up to old timer's disease...LOL
Hope you are feeling better. I have the same thing and am starting to feel a little better

~~louise~~ said...

It sure does look amazing! I've never taken Benadryl but perhaps I should:)

Thanks for sharing...Hope you're feeling better.

Connie said...

Thanks for yet another yummy sounding casserole. I don't know what my post-WLS eating would be like without you!

Sorry you still feel like crud. Here's hoping the chicken pot pie casserole has you on the mend soon.


Chelsea's Mom said...

I don't like zucchini anyway, so it's good for me to have it left out!! :o) I feel so bad for you being sick, though. I know Benedryl can do a number on you because I use it to fall asleep (well, a form of it - it's the same stuff they use in sleep aids!). Hang in there and hope you feel better soon. Maybe the Benedryl made you pull the wrong name in the contest, I think you meant to pull mine! -- I will try again!! Thanks!

College Research Papers said...

Thanks for share this information, i really didn't know about that, will get advantage from this,Thanks for share this.

LeeLee said...

I'm glad to hear you are getting better every day. Love ya!


Penelope said...

WOW...the looks delish! I am going to make that on Saturday for when my father comes in town for a visit. Thanks for posting all of these wonderful recipies!

ren said...

This is chicken pot pie is soooo delicious! I made it yesterday morning and will scrounging through to find more casserole-type recipes. Thanks for sharing your recipes!