Thursday, January 28, 2010

Bento & Bookworms

We had a nice break this weekend from all the rain so I took my super cool bento box packed with lunch and snacks to the park, found the driest picnic table and hung out with nature for a few hours. Deep breaths of fresh air is sometimes the best medicine.


Pink Box (top left): Shelly's Grilled Eggplant Roll-up
Green Box (top right): Roasted Chickpeas
Blue Box (bottom left): Roast Beef & Cheesestick Roll-up
Orange Box (bottom right): Shelly's Tropical Sunrise Protein Mini Muffins

Shelly's Grilled Eggplant Roll-up

Grilled Eggplant Slice
Fresh Basil Leaves or Baby Spinach
Equal parts Herb Goat Cheese and Cream Cheese

Brush eggplant slices with olive oil or spray with a little non-stick spray. Grill on BBQ or indoor grill till softened. Cool. Mix cheeses together. Spread about a tablespoon of the cheese mixture onto each eggplant slice. Add a basil or spinach leaf or two. Roll-up.

Roll-ups are a great post weight loss surgery friendly meal. Some of my favorites:

Turkey, Swiss, Green Chili or Avocado
(these are super yummy heated)
Roast Beef & Pickle Spear (or Mozzarella Stick, pictured above)
Turkey, Swiss and Cranberry Cream Cheese
Ham & Cheddar (also yummy heated)

More Eggface Bentos

When it was raining and gray I got a little crafty and made a bunch of little cloth napkins for my super cool bento boxes out of material scraps I had on hand. I love the little daisy napkin pictured above.

Oh and check out the library book bag. I was sitting on hold the other day doodling and here's the result...

Listening to: "Breakeven" The Script

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man Michelle(or should I say Martha), you are sooo creative! Love the bag. I quilt, but it's with someone elses patterns. I love that you did your own thing. As always, love the site!
Sandy

Erin said...

oh my gosh, that is the cutest bag ever. did you hand stich that or use a machine? love it!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

TY guys. Sure beats the plastic bag I was carting my library books in :)

I draw the patterns on a paper bag free hand or LOL using lids for circles, etc. and then cut out the felt/material. They are blanket stitched on.

baby cribs said...

Your Roast Beef & Cheese Stick looks really yummy and same goes to the Mini Muffins. I would love to try one of those.

Kelly said...

That bag is just adorable! Did you make the tote itself, too?

I think I am going to need to get myself a bento soon. I'm on purees now and not back to work yet, but in a month or so, it would be really great for taking lunch to work. :)

Miriam said...

This librarian loves your bookworm book bag!

Di said...

As always, I am loving your craftiness. You need to make a Bento Cozy! Seasonal....or one to match the contents. How cute would THAT be!?!

I think I am going back to college (a girl can never have too many degrees...lol). I think I am going to need a super-cool-Bento for meals on the go (ok...just another way to justify the coolio flower-bagged Bento).