Riceless

'Cause that's how I roll. Some of my pals call me a carb-o-phobe :) It's not true. I eat carbs. I just choose not to do rice, pasta, bread, and potatoes post weight loss surgery. My four monkeys. I eat oatmeal, spelt, my wheat tortillas, beans, veggies, fruit. Lots of good complex carbs in moderation. If you are confused about good carbs versus not so good carbs check out this neat site.

Here's my super quick, riceless version of paella (pronounced pa-AY-ya) the traditional dish of Spain. In place of the useless white rice carbs I used the beautiful baby zucchini and squashes I picked up at the Farmer's Market. Lots more nutrients and flavor. You will not miss the rice I promise.


Shelly's Riceless Paella

1 Large Yellow Onion, sliced
4 Green Onions, diced
3 cups Zucchini & Summer Squash, diced
1 teaspoon Garlic, chopped (or more I heart my Garlic)
1 Breakfast Sausage Patty, chopped (leftovers from breakfast are great for this)
4 Naked Chicken Nuggets (you can use a handful of those precooked frozen chicken fajita strips)
4-5 Raw Shrimp, chopped
1 (6 oz. can) Whole Clams, rinsed & drained
1 (2 oz. jar) Pimentos, drained
1/2 cup Frozen Peas, defrosted
1 cup canned Chopped Tomatoes
a few twists of Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a pinch of Saffron Strands (find in spice aisle, don't skip it's the key)
Olive Oil for sauteing

Saute onions till golden. Add zucchini and saute till just beginning to get tender and golden. Add garlic, sausage, chicken and cook for 3 minutes. If you are using the Naked Nuggets sliced them into strips at this point.

Add shrimp, clams and all remaining ingredients. Cook till shrimp is pink and everything is warmed through about 8 minutes.