Sunday, January 25, 2009

Lunch too good to trade

I could eat salads like this everyday. I love to make a batch and store it in the fridge for a quick and easy lunch or snack. The great thing about bean salads are they get even better the next day when the ingredients get a chance to love on one another for awhile.


Shelly's 4 Bean Salad

1 (15 oz. can) Garbanzo Beans (Chickpeas, Ceci), rinsed & drained
8 oz. Storebought Four Bean Salad in a Vinaigrette Dressing (find in the Deli Department)
1 cup Roasted Veggies (click on link for how to)
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper to taste

Mix together. Refrigerate. Pretty simple, eh?


My lunch: a scoop of 4 Bean Salad and a Turkey & Swiss Roll-up. Yum.


Highlights of the Day:

* I'm excited. My Mum and I are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon. I have never been and have always wanted to... probably ever since the Brady Bunch episode when Bobby and Cindy smuggle the Native American boy baked beans in their flashlight.

* Part work day, part fun day. The way life should be. I have a job to do today that is taking me near the ocean so I'm packing this lunch and going to eat it staring at the crashing waves of the blue Pacific. I'm packing lunch today in these because the super cool bento box I ordered hasn't arrived yet.

* Right now. Getting ready to start my day. Listening to tunes. Sipping a cup of coffee with a splash of Sugar Free Irish Cream Torani Syrup because it's National Irish Coffee Day and I am a complete goober that must celebrate all wacky holidays. It was a little too early (even for me) for Whiskey. Maybe later. So this was as close as I could do.

Listening to: "Fix You" Coldplay

7 comments:

Tara said...

We have a laptop lunch box and LOVE it! I've often thought about how great the bento box would be for a WLS patient. Small, healthy, happy little servings all in a box ready to go. How much better could it be? We need to start a WLS bento box series.

emily said...

Oh my gosh, another bento fan? I freakin love it! I never did find a bento box that didn't leak if I had anything with liquids, but that laptop lunch box looks perfect, and SO CUTE!

Me and My Charms said...

I have a challenge for you! Do you think you could create a WLS friendly version of this: http://www.gumbopages.com/food/dessert/ban-breadpud.html ? Doesn't it sound *amazing*?! :)

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Yay good to know Tara. I'm excited to get mine. We have awesome weather I need to take advantage of it more and eat outside. Totally love the bento series idea. Let's do it.

***

:) Emily. I hoping this doesn't we'll see. I'll give you the 411 when I test it out.

***

MandMC

It does sound good... course I don't do any bread post-op so my version wouldn't be "bread pudding" ;) I'll think about it though/

Steffi said...

Wow! A trip to the Grand Canyon!!! You will absolutely love it! I live in the Phoenix area and have been there a couple of times and it is absolutely gorgeous, breath-taking and every other awe-inspiring word you can think of! I would love to hear more about your trip planning!

OliveOilTan said...

I just saw a similar bean salad in the salad bar at Mustard Seed. I made it with a can of Navy, Garbonzo, Light kidney beans, & thinly sliced green peppers. Topped w/ vinegar and olive oil. Yum.

Anonymous said...

Shelly,
I just want to tell you how much I enjoy your blog EVERYDAY!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING YOUR GIFT OF COOKING FOR WLS PEOPLE!