Sunday, November 23, 2008

Soup for you

I love big pots of soup like this. This is something my Sicilian Grandma would have had on her stove on a chilly afternoon. I served it with shaved Parmesan on top.

Shelly's Lentil Soup

1/4 pound (about 4 slices) Ham, diced
1 Yellow Onion, chopped
3 Leeks, light green & white parts only, diced
3 oz. Carrots, grated
3 cloves of Garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
1 cup dry Lentils, picked over and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon Thyme
4 cups Chicken Broth
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
Olive Oil for sauteing

Soak lentils for 60 minutes. Drain.

In a big pot cook ham until slightly golden. Add leeks and onion cook until golden and soft about 7 minutes. Stir in carrots and garlic; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and cook 1 minute. Add lentils, thyme, broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until lentils are tender about 30 to 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. I whizzed it smooth with this super cool gadget. You could leave it chunky or blend it in batches in a regular blender. Serve immediately with shaved Parmesan.

This is a super hearty fiber and iron packed soup. Lentils are one of the world's healthiest foods.

Highlights of the day:

* There is nothing better than a pot of soup waiting for you to return home and reheat. Well there are SOME things that are better but this is a family friendly blog ;)

* Excited about San Ramon. Gonna be making some yummy weight loss surgery friendly treats. Are you coming?

* Watched the sunset on my walk tonight. Some of life's greatest pleasures are free.

Listening to: "Mmbop" Hanson. LOL Yeah not proud of it.


Melting Mama said...

I love lentil soup. Be right over for leftovers.

Kathy W. said...

Oh YUM! How much does this make cause I will be the only one eating this? The hubby HATES anything different and the Monster-in-Law won't eat anything I make unless she HAS to. If she won't eat it she won't give it to the Father-in-law either.

Ann A. said...

Just made a batch of soup for dinner. It's snowing here in upstate NY and soup sounded really good. In the words of the Rach "Oh my gravy!" and
"Yummo". The leaks and ham really it a flavorful soup.

Left overs will not be discarded on this one!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

It makes about 4 big bowls. It will freeze well though.

Danyele said...

Yes! I'm coming to the San Ramon event! I'm so excited that you and Melting Mama will be in my neck of the woods.. can't wait to meet both of you.

April M. Richmond VA said...

OMG this soup is wonderful. We have tried many of your recipes and all have been delicious but this one is off the charts. Thanks so much for sharing!!

George Barton said...

Thanks, Shellie; I'll see if the leeks can be added to my leftover soup. You know, you can't make just soup for one so I always wind up with a dutch oven full. Makes it soooo easy to get lunch. I'll try the entire recipe the next time I do soup; I've always got it on my menu.