Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Shelly's Test (and retest) Kitchen

I was jonesing for a chewy, chunky oatmeal raisin cookie the other day. It's taken a few batches but I really like this version.

Version 1: Edible but not enough moisture.
Version 2: Edible but too much moisture.
Version 3: Very good but needs a slight cooking time & temperature adjustment.
Version 4: I'm a happy camper but not 100% blogworthy yet.
Version 5: Mmmm. Oh yeah. I heart these.

Anyone want to come over and eat a bunch of cookies with me?

My sister Sandra (post op RNY 4 years) and her BF David (non-op major baked goods lover) loved them and totally could not believe they had no white flour and no added sugar.

Speaking of my sis... she came over this weekend and we never picked up the camera. Sorry guys. It was a little overcast for the beach so we ended up eating outside on the patio (Stuffed Pizza Bites, Italian Bean Salad, the ultimate Fruit Salad with my Farmer's Market booty and these Protein Cookies), BSing and doing a fashion show... my sis inherited three huge bags of stuff that didn't fit me. Warning to new post-ops when you start losing weight don't buy a lot of clothing. Well at least my sister scored a new summer wardrobe and I have more room in my closet.


Shelly's Oatmeal Raisin Protein Cookies

1/4 cup Raw Almonds, ground
1/2 cup Steel Cut Oatmeal
1/4 cup Soy Flour (7 g. of protein per 1/4 cup)
2 scoops of Vanilla Protein Powder
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
3 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used Caramel)
2 Tablespoons Almond Butter
1 Egg, beaten
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
dash of Salt
1/3 cup Nuts, chopped (I used Pecans & Walnuts)
1/4 cup Dried Fruit (I used Raisins and Unsweetened Dried Cranberries)
10 Sugar Free Chocolate Baking Discs (or 4 miniature bars), chopped

Preheat oven to 325. In a mini food processor whiz almonds, 1/4 cup of the oats, soy flour, 1 scoop of the protein powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt till fine. Add Torani syrup and whiz again*. In a separate dish beat egg, almond butter and vanilla together. Combine both. Add additional scoop of protein, the other 1/4 cup of oats, nuts, fruit and chocolate pieces.


Scoop with a small ice cream scoop onto a parchment paper lined baking tray. Pat down slightly.


Bake at 325 for 9 minutes exactly. They will look light on the top but trust me they are done. Soy flour browns quickly. Remove from tray immediately and cool on a wire rack. Makes 16. *Be sure to add the Torani syrup to the dry ingredients.




If you don't like raisins: do all cranberries or diced dried fruit instead.
If you don't like nuts: you are SOL (shit out of luck) with this one.

These have been a yummy breakfast the past few days. Great to toss in a Ziploc and go.

I rarely give nutrition info because frankly I'm not a Nut (at least that kind of nut) and brands, ingredients, portion size will vary changing the tally greatly but here's the stats based on the products I used: 83 calories a piece, 5g. fat, 5g. carbs, 5g. protein seems only fitting it took 5 batches to get it right ;) Want to calculate your version (or any other recipe): go to fitday.com, type in the individual ingredients and divide the totals by the # of servings you get from the recipe.

15 comments:

Barb Del Piano said...

I'll come over and help you empty the tray! WOW! These look so good my mouth is watering for them! I'm gonna see if Penny and I can make a BIG BATCH of these this Sunday. I'll let you know how it goes. I think I'm gonna leave the raisins out completely and just go for the Oatmeal.

Ciao, Me.

DJ said...

Do you think sugar free mini carob chips would work instead of the chocolate? How much?

ME WANT COOKIES!

Michelle said...

Barb,

If you like some other dried fruit (a pricots LOL) use that or add more nuts.

***

Hey dj,

I would think so. If they can be used like chocolate chips in recipes then I don't see why not. I've not seen those I'll be on the look out and give them a try myself.

~Michelle

cschoen said...

>>Anyone want to come over and eat a bunch of cookies with me? <<

Me, oh me, can't you see my hand? ;-)

Next OH cruise, they should let you have cooking classes.....

MM said...

I think I love you.

My husband will be a happy man after I do some grocery shopping this weekend. ;)

I am so linking to this.

Tailynn said...

Oh my gosh we are both on the same page. I have been in a huge search for oatmeal cookies. I ordered some sugar free ones online and they just didnt do it.

One question though. I don't know about that chocolate you used. What is it and where do you get it?

Michelle said...

Hope you guys enjoy them.

I used sugar free chocolate baking discs (bulk bins) and chopped those up but you could use SF Hershey's or whatever brand mini candies SF bars and chop them up in little chunks. Maybe 4 or so would equal 10 baking discs.

Joeknee said...

Hi, these look wonderful. I'm wondering if the almonds are a 1/4 cup before or after you whiz them up? Thanks and please keep the recipes coming!

Michelle said...

Great Q joeknee, The 1/4 of raw almonds are measured before whizzing :)

Emily said...

This is a serious question. How much would you charge to make a batch (or even half-batch) and ship em across the US? You might could freeze them and ship... Heh...

I just know if I make a whole batch of these, it will be bad news for my pouchy! Protein cookie binge anyone?

Tailynn said...

Okay, so I made them friday and saturday night. My family ate every last one. I left the walnuts and peacans out of fridays batch because my husband is allergic but they needed a little crunch so in saturdays batch I used sliced almonds. Yummo. Exactly what I needed the only thing I should warn is only make them when you have family around. They are easy on the tummy and boy I could definately eat the whole tray. Luckily they didn't last long enough. The family loved them!

Tara said...

I made these!! The only sub I made was peanut butter for almond butter. My whole fam liked them. I used a small melon baller and got 29 cookies.

Natalie said...

Oh my gosh! God bless Shelly! I have been wanting a cookie so bad and have been trying to be so good and not have white flour like my Surgeon suggested. I made mine with Banana Nut Protein powder, and forgot to add the second half of the oats, but it's still a cookie. I also only had egg substitute. They are pretty fluffy like but OMG! That really makes the craving satisfied! Thanks! Natalie

Anonymous said...

Hi! I love your recipes, but I have a quick question.... If I choose to not use the protein powder ( defeats the protein part of the "protein cookie" I know) will it affect the baking time and or taste? I am wanting to bake these for easter but really didn't want to add any protein powder to it. Any suggestions, tips?
Thanks!
Melanie

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Melanie, It won't work without the protein.