Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Crock Pot Carne Asada and Leftovers

Dinner last week...


Shelly's Crock Pot Carne Asada

1 1/2 lbs. Pre-Marinated Carne Asada (I used Trader Joe's but most meat departments carry)
1 cup Salsa
1 Yellow Onion, diced
2 cloves Garlic, sliced
1 cup Bell Peppers, sliced (I used combo red, yellow, green)
1/2 cup Black Beans, drained
1/2 cup Corn (I used canned Mexicorn)

Toppings:

Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
Sour Cream
Avocado

Saute meat till browned on high heat. I put it on the grill (stovetop, electric or outdoor) for a few minutes till slightly browned. Remove and place in crock pot. Saute onions till golden. Add garlic cook 1 minute more. Pour into crock pot. Add salsa, peppers, beans, and corn. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours. Top with Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese, Sour Cream, and/or Avocado.

Lunch today...

I tossed the leftovers in the freezer till today when I defrosted them and made this killer soup with just a few additions...


Shelly's Carne Asada Soup

Just under 2 cups of leftover cooked Crock Pot Carne Asada, defrosted
3 cups Chicken Broth
1 can (14.5 oz.) Diced Tomatoes, with juice (I used S&W brand)
1 can (15 oz.) Pinquitos Beans, drained
1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
2 small Zucchinis, sliced

Toppings:

Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
Greek Yogurt (or Sour Cream)
Avocado

Dump everything in a pot and simmer (covered) for 30 minutes on low. Top with Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese, Yogurt and/or Avocado.

3 comments:

Barb Del Piano said...

Is Carne Asada anything like a soy meat? From the way the recipe goes, it sounds similar. This soup sounds like something right up my ally. I'm gonna give this one a whirl as well. YOU HAVE NEVER LET ME DOWN!

Michelle said...

No, it's colon clogging cow and I love it!

Carne Asada literally translated is Grilled Meat. It's usually Flank Steak or Skirt Steak. It is often quickly grilled and used in tacos and burritos but since post weight loss surgery moisture is key to keeping tough cuts of meat going in the right direction if you know what I mean I used the trusty crock pot for added moisture and then transformed the leftovers into a soup.

Here's some info about carne asada...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carne_asada

Very popular in my neck of the woods. Hope you can find it in yours and enjoy it.

~Michelle

Julie said...

I just found your site and LOVE it! Thank you for posting your recipes! I tried the Carne Asada last night and OMG!! It was AWESOME! I couldn't try the soup because there weren't any leftovers :) Thanks again!