Thursday, May 1, 2008

Chili Cheese Soup

When you are jonesing for chili cheese fries make a big pot of this instead.

Listen to this scary stat: 1 order of Dairy Queen's Grill & Chill Chili Cheese Fries has 1,220 calories, 72 grams of fat, and 114 grams of carbs. Add a burger and a Blizzard and there should be no question why Americans are getting fatter and fatter.


Shelly's Chili Cheese Soup

1 lb Ground Beef (or Turkey, or Chicken)
1 - 15 oz. can Pinquitos Beans, drained
1 - 15 oz. can Diced Tomatoes
1/2 Red Onion, diced
1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
3 Green Onions, diced
2 Bell Peppers, diced (I used 1 green and 1 red)
3 cloves Garlic, diced
4 oz. Cream Cheese, cubed
1 1/2 cups Beef Broth
1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Olive Oil

Toppings
Sour cream
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Hot Sauce

Brown ground beef. Add drained beans and diced tomatoes and their juice. Pour into crock pot. Saute onions and peppers in olive oil till golden. Add garlic and saute 1 minute more.

Pour over meat in crock pot. Add cream cheese and beef broth. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. In the last 1/2 hour add shredded cheese and stir. Serve topped with sour cream, more shredded cheese and a splash of hot sauce.

If you use a different bean than the S&W brand Pinquitos Beans. Add about a 1/2 teaspoon of cumin and increase the garlic. Try and find the beans though they are super yummy.

I love cooking with the crock pot. You throw all the ingredients in it in the morning and you're done. Just throw some flour or something on your face when you call everyone for dinner so they think you worked really hard ;)

More Eggface Crock Pot Creations:
Shelly's Split Pea & Ham Soup in the crock pot
Shelly's Crock Pot Carnitas
Shelly's Beef & Black Bean Crock Pot Stew
Shelly's Crock Pot Pot Roast

8 comments:

MM said...

Yes. Please.

I will make this.

I have yet to make anything I drool after on your page. I'm the laziest recipe drooler, ever. But, I may actually follow through here.

Anonymous said...

OMG OMG OMG-THANK YOU! I have been craving chili cheese fries since before surgery 3 weeks ago- I love this-THANK YOU! I adore my crock pot as well and it's nice to have something even the family loves to eat. I was seriously having CCFries dreams! Glad I got on her to read today... THANKS AGAIN-you saved the day again!!!! With ur help-I stay on the line-I really don't want to vear! -Angela

Meghan said...

I made this, my first eggface recipe, approximately 36 hours ago. My husband has already eaten ALL the leftovers. It was INCREDIBLE!

Michelle said...

MM & Angela: Hope you guys enjoy it.

***

Meghan, LOL I love it. Now that's the best seal of approval! Thanks for letting me know :)

~Michelle

Anonymous said...

Michelle

I have searched HIGH and LOW for these beans! Where did you find them? BTW I've made this and my son LOVES it! It's fabulous!

Ophelia

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Ophelia,

I buy them at my local supermarket (Winco foods) but if you went on the S&W website I'd email them and ask them where to find them in your area. Sometimes they answer and send you coupons!! :)

~Michelle

Randi said...

I made this last week. Fall is coming here, and this was the perfect chili recipe - tasted like something I would have eaten pre-op but without all the guilt. Thanks for another keeper, Shelly! :)

Dana said...

I oouldn't find those beans, either, and substituted with spicy black beans. I had my chili cheese soup for lunch today. I used my slow cooker for the first time this weekend, and made a batch of this soup. Had a bowl of it for lunch today - and I already think that the slow cooker was a great investment! The soup (even with some other beans) is awesome!!

Thank you!