Friday, June 19, 2015

New Product Alert: Trader Joe's Organic Riced Cauliflower

I absolutely love using cauliflower as a replacement for rice. I've made a great Sicilian Rice-less Rice Stuffing (Cabbaliata) that is part of my Thanksgiving feast, a Deconstructed Riceless Sicilian "Rice Balls" (Arancini) and a Chinese Fried Rice-less Rice and I've loved them all but... dragging out the food processor to whiz up the cauliflower is an extra step and then cleaning it... ugh. I really don't mind in the cooler months, nice to hang out in the warm kitchen but when the summer temperatures heat up I want cooking and cleanup to be simple. I had heard through the grapevine that Trader Joe's (and a few other companies) were going to start making frozen Riced Cauliflower *cue the Hallelujah chorus* this is one of those, "Hello?! how did this not happen till now!?" products.


I had my fingers crossed it was going to be tasty, convenient is great but you have to be tasty or why bother. Oh how I loved just cutting open the bag and dumping it in the saute pan, it's riced to a couscous or orzo-like consistency, very even.


I made a tried and true Eggface recipe with it: Chinese Fried Rice-less Rice. I figured a recipe I knew the results, taste and texture of was the best judge of the product. Sauteed in just a drizzle of olive oil till slight color change and heated through...


I added all the other yummy ingredients. You can add whatever you want really... it's a great use for bits and bobs of leftovers bumping around the fridge. This time it was yellow onion, green onion, mushrooms, frozen peas, scrambled eggs, sometimes I add chicken or beef (cooked, chopped up.) If you have a piece of steak leftover or extra grilled chicken breast. This is the perfect vehicle for that.




and...



Verdict: We have a winner! Not only was this Riced Cauliflower super convenient, it was delicious. I noted no major texture changes from the freshly whizzed version and the taste soooo good. Now I have not tested it with something that needs to be crispy, so things like those cauliflower faux pizza crust recipes you see on Pinterest. I will one of these days and update the post but what a BIG time saver! Now all your focus can be on what to make with it. I'm jazzed and already planning my next "riceless" cauliflower creation.

Trader Joe's
$1.99 a bag/frozen section
Serving Size 1/3 package (4 oz.)
Servings Per Container about 3
Calories 30

It'll be added to my Post Weight Loss Surgery Pantry Essentials List. Let me know what you think of it.

post signature

10 comments:

chicklit72 said...

Looks great. Will have to look for a bag and give it a try. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try this! I've also made the cauliflower dough for pizza, my daughter and I love it.

Anonymous said...

Just wish we had a Trader Joe somewhere near us.

Anonymous said...

Poo....I went to my TJ today and they don't have this yet! I was really hoping to try it! Will keep looking for it! Traci

Mary Ann Atzrott said...

Can't wait to try this!!!

Amy Goulet said...

Went to Tj's today and remembered to look for this.... but I couldn't find it! So I went up to the counter and asked the nice man if he knows if they had/will get it. He told me they had gotten it in and it sold out in less than a week!! I mentioned I would hit up another store and he told me all the stores in the area (Detroit) were sold out! I have to wait until the end of July :(

Anne said...

You just made my day!

Anonymous said...

I had this last week as well. There is a bourbonless chicken recipe on pintrest that we all love that I altered for me and served with this instead of rice my son didn't know it was cauliflower :) Yum. I bought several bags when I went so I need to try your recipe as well looks yummy. Joy

Marianne said...

Hi Shelly! "Long time listener, first time caller..." :) Hey, I was all excited to go to TJ to get the cauliflower bits the next time I was in the big city, so imagine my excitement when was at my local supermarket and saw "Green Giant Cauliflower Crumbles"! I promptly used them with chicken and yellow curry sauce (in place of rice) and it was delicious. Looking forward to trying your suggestions as well, esp the fried rice. Love your blog - have a great day!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Excellent M. You found the Green Giant version. I've been looking. The product locator says Super Target in my area but nothing so far. I'll grab a bag the minute I see it. Glad it was enjoyed.

***

LOL Joy, I love that he didn't know!