Thanksgiving Side Dishes and Leftovers

I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving (and/or Hanukkah) I shared this Thanksgiving message on my Facebook page but for those that missed it...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! When I count my blessings I count all of you. It's so nice to know we are on this road together... like any road there will be bumps and curves, a few flat tires but knowing we are never alone is a great comfort and definitely something to be thankful for!

We had a nice day. I made a Bone-in Turkey Breast, rubbed it with a little olive oil, rosemary, thyme, and shoved garlic in the cavity. It was delicious though without legs it doesn't really take the best photo. Sort of just leans to one side of the platter. I will spare you. On to the sides...

When I was a kid we had 2 types of stuffing at Thanksgiving, the American bread kind and a Sicilian rice stuffing with ground beef called Cabbaliata. I have to say I rarely miss stuff from my pre weight loss surgery days but I did miss that. Since I don't do bread or rice, I was determined to come up with an alternative version of the rice stuffing this year. Here it is! It's delicious and so easy I will be making it more than just on the holiday.

Low Carb Healthy Side Dishes Thanksgiving Side Dishes Weight Loss Surgery Bariatric Cooking

Shelly's Sicilian Rice-less Rice Stuffing (Cabbaliata)

1 Head of Cauliflower
1 Yellow Onion, diced
2 Stalks Celery, chopped
1/2 pound Ground Beef
Salt to taste
a few twists of Black Pepper
a Tablespoon of Olive Oil for sauteing
sprinkle of Parmesan Cheese on top

Saute Ground Beef (could also use ground Sausage or Turkey) till no pink is seen. Set aside. Break up the cauliflower into small florets. Pulse the florets in a food processor until reduced to the size of rice grains. Place in a saute pan and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, the cauliflower will become slightly golden when it's done. Remove from pan set aside. Saute onion till golden. Parboil celery. I nuke it in a cup of water for 3 minutes, drain it and add along with all ingredients to the cooked cauliflower. Return to heat, stir till combined and warmed through. Sprinkle each serving with a little grated Parmesan.


We also had Roasted Brussels Sprouts (if you HATE Brussels Sprouts make this, you will change your mind, seriously soooo good) Toss sprouts with a Tablespoon of olive oil and a little Kosher Salt. Roast in a 425 degree oven. I put them in for 20 minutes, turn them and then put them in for another 15 or so. You want golden brown. Sprinkle with a little Parmesan.

Weight Loss Surgery Gastric Bypass Sleeve RNY VSG WLS Food Recipes

Yesterday our leftover turkey and gravy became this yummy casserole. Yay for leftovers making life easy. We don't shop the Black Friday sales. I had to once for work and some lady ran over my foot with her cart. Never again. People get crazy. I like my feet. I ventured out once briefly to Costco for soy milk and socks and I bought whipped cream chargers online to make my No Sugar Added Homemade Flavored Whipped Cream that was the extent of my shopping. They rest of the day we watched DVR'd stuff, the parade, dog show and one of my favorite shows "My Grandmother's Ravioli" cooking but mostly life lessons and wisdom, if you've not seen it yet check it out, it's great!

Weight Loss Surgery Bariatric Cooking Menus Food Blog
  
Shelly's Turkey Squash Casserole

2 lb. Butternut Squash, cubed and roasted
1 Large Sweet Onion, diced
6-8 Mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2-2 cups of Leftover Cooked Turkey, chopped
1 Teaspoon Poultry Seasoning
1/4-1/3 cup of Leftover Turkey Gravy
Salt to taste
a few twists of Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Parmesan
2 Tablespoons Chopped Pecans

To Roast Squash: Preheat oven to 425. Place cubed squash on a baking sheet. Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with Kosher Salt. Toss to coat. Bake for 45 minutes turning 2 or 3 times during cooking. You are looking for soft and lightly golden. I cheated and bought already cubed & peeled squash from Costco (I've seen it at Trader Joe's and most regular supermarkets) because I value my fingers and butternut squash is a pain in the you-know-what to chop up.

Saute onion and mushroom til golden. Add all remaining ingredients (except Parmesan and Pecans). Mix to combine. Pour into a Pyrex Casserole (I love the holidays I get to use some of my vintage Pyrex, I collect it) Top with Parmesan and Pecans. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Today I'm thinking Sushi. I'm about Turkey'd out.