Monday, April 27, 2015

Life After Weight Loss Surgery Q & A - I've stopped losing weight, any tips?

Questions and answers, one post-op's thoughts on life after weight loss surgery.


Q. I have stopped losing weight and can't seem to get going on eating right or exercising. Do you have any tips for me?

A. If you aren't planning your meals at least a day in advance I would suggest that... that way you know what your eating day will look like. Use a free online calculator or App: My Fitness Pal or Fitday. Do it for a week or so at least and see calories, fats, carbs, proteins and make sure they are still where your Dr's plan want them to be. It's easy to let carbs creep up, protein go down, and portions increase. Once and awhile enter your day and get a reality check so to speak. You can usually see what needs to be adjusted.

The idea behind weight loss surgery is to use the first year to make lifestyle changes that you then just continue. Your sentence "can't seem to get going on eating right or exercising" makes me think you didn't or did and then gave it up... you want to think about WHY... only you know that... then find the professional to help you overcome whatever your WHY is...if it's not eating the healthiest (a dietitian), some emotional stuff going on (therapist), finding time or an exercise you enjoy (take some classes or join a team, walk at the least, add extra steps into your day), lack of support (support groups: online and in the real world, YWM2015.) Remember this mantra... "we can't continue the same behavior and expect a different result." Good for you for realizing a change needs to happen. Talk to your Dr. they can help guide you.

It is easy to get lulled into thinking the scale will always go down but it still goes both ways and nothing magically happens the day after you reach that goal weight... just more of the same... eating the best you can, moving every day and working on the head stuff but we aren't alone (lots of pals on the same road) and there is help for us if we need it. All we have to do it ask. There is no shame in saying, "I thought I had this but I guess I don't, help me" 

Build your team... Dr, therapist, dietitian, support groups, family and friends to help. Obesity is a chronic disease and requires chronic treatment... Dr's get this or at least they should if their degree is worth the paper its written on. I look at obesity like a war... I'm not gonna fight a war alone... I want a team, someone who has my back, snipers, special ops, medics, etc.

Best to you!!

post signature

Best laid plans was to make this an on-going blog series. I'll try and do more of them. Of course it's just one post-ops perspective and **we're not one size fits all** but... I hope it helps. Some of the past Q & A's:

Question 1: I'm pre-op and I'm realizing that so many things in my life are centered around food. How do you deal with that after weight loss surgery?
Question 2: Can you drink alcohol after weight loss surgery?
Question 3: What did you do about friends and family that said things like "Are you sure you want to risk dying?" and "Can't you just lose it on your own?" when you told them you were going to have weight loss surgery?

5 comments:

Jaded Mage said...

Great Advice, Its always a battle with what I want and what I know I should do. and just an FYI, I usually come here to get inspiration from you.

Kathy Sinnard said...

I am 3 1/2 years post op and am really starting to struggle---for many reasons. I feel like I have learned so much from you and will continue to use your blog as my source for support and information. Thank you for all you do. Kathy

Arielle Phoenix said...

I have renewed my commitment to myself and, after regaining 30 pounds over the years since my surgery. I feel so inspired and encouraged by your blog and your great recipes! Thank you so much for being such a wonderful example and motivator! I am very grateful for yet another chance to get healthy and happy!

Dana Myatt said...

Hi Ms Honorable Eggface!

Love your blog and your recipes. Thanks.

I gotta' ask ya'...

So, if you had made the diet changes... low cal, low carb like you are eating now,
don't you think you would have lost the weight? Did it take a somewhat mutilating "therapy" to force you to do what you could have actually done without it?

I'm not trying to be mean here. I am a physician and trying to wrap my head around why folks who are willing to make significant diet changes in order to lose weight(after surgery) wouldn't just make those diet changes anyway. Maybe the "I will throw up if I eat too much" after surgery helps?

If you have a page or comment already on your blog, sorry I didn't find it. Again, I am trying to get a grok on why surgery is needed, not trying to be unkind.

I think your website, recipes and the way you talk is just lovely, funny, inspirational and wonderful.

In Health and with a Big Congratulations on Your Success,
Dr. Myatt (a.k.a DANA --- just don't call me Monkey Butt)

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Dana,

So I will answer your Q but bear in mind... this is MY STORY and we (those who have chosen the helping hand of weight loss surgery to address their obesity) will have different stories (we are all unique snowflakes us humans.) For me...

I dieted most of my teenage and adult years off and on... whenever I was told "well you know you really should lose some weight" by a Dr (they don't give you much more than that in a 10 minute visit) I would try the latest diet, best selling book, program, infomercial, potion, etc. low carb, low cal, no fat, I did them all (non of which were covered by insurance, though my illnesses were)... and like most diets they will work for a time... I can suffer through for a few weeks anything but for life that's the difference... I am not suffering. I utilized the early months after weight loss surgery to make lifestyle changes that I can live with forever... finding healthy food I love, eliminating some that needed to go, finding exercise I enjoy, working on the emotional factors of obesity, understanding the why's and working on those. The scale #'s going down in a way no diet ever helped me acheive were a big motivation, my activity level just in everyday life has increased and add to that the ability to move and effectiveness of exercise without 150+ extra pounds but more importantly the rapid weight loss resolved all my health issues... I had a ton of major health issues going on: GERD, acid reflux so severe that it would rise up out of my nose and mouth, severe sleep apnea episodes where I would stop breathing almost 100 times in the night, the combo of those 2 are deadly as you can imagine (aspiration, lack of oxygen, stress on heart, stroke, etc.) as part of the treatment for those conditions (along with the high blood pressure and some other conditions related to obesity) I was on 8 medications. You can imagine that I wasn't always up for burpees and when you are next in a supermarket pick up a 150 pound bag of something and try and run... but do it when you are ill and keep that bag with you for many years, at work, at school, try and fit in this world physically and emotionally... and on occasion as you are carrying that weight have someone call you names, or treat you differently, or pass you over, or assume and make judgements based on your size. I am thankful everyday for the gift I gave myself of weight loss surgery's helping hand... I have to say I take offense to the term mutilating, would you say that about heart bypass, or any other disease treatment? I'm going to link you to a website and publication I would love you to read: www.obesityaction.org and http://www.obesityaction.org/wp-content/uploads/Weight-Bias-in-Healthcare1.pdf Hope that answers your Q and you utilize the resource to learn more.