Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Post Weight Loss Surgery Menus: A day in my pouch

A day in my pouch is a series of blog posts to show what a typical daily menu looks like in my post weight loss surgery world. Here's what I ate yesterday...

Breakfast: I had an abundance of apples so I cooked a few. I just peeled, chopped them and cooked them with a couple of pumps of Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used a little SF Salted Caramel), a dash or 2 of cinnamon and a dash of apple pie spice. I stirred them occasionally and cooked them till they were softened but still held shape.

I topped a scoop of cooked apples with a dollop of sweetened ricotta cheese (just added some cinnamon and SF Vanilla Torani to taste.) You could use honey or agave too whatever sweetener you use. On top of that I sprinkled some Chai Spiced Protein Granola. OMG Have you made this granola yet?!... make it. It should be called cracknola, it's addictive. Soooo good! I use Big Train Spiced Chai Protein (you could use any protein but try the Chai version, cracknola!)

More Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Breakfasts

Lunch: Shrimp Cocktail and Cheese. Pretty Simple. I use regular cocktail sauce. They sell SF ones but I don't use that much. See the amount pictured, probably half that gets actually consumed. I ate on the fly, in between a project for work (I work from home) I was also dragging out the holiday decorations and you know how that goes... surrounded by a sea of boxes.

I took a break outside a little later with a protein shake. It has been gorgeous here high 70's. Though it's lovely it's not conducive to the holiday spirit maybe once the decorations go up. Umm soon. I dragged the boxes out. That's as far as I got.

Shelly's Peanut Butter Honey Yogurt Smoothie

8 oz. Milk (any Skim, Soy, Almond, Coconut, whatever you like)
1 scoop Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
2 Tablespoons Powdered Peanut Butter
2-3 Frozen Honey Yogurt Cubes

Place all ingredients in blender, and blend until smooth.

Powdered Peanut Butter is de-fatted peanut butter. About 85%-90% of the fat has been removed so it has the consistency of flour, in fact, it is sometimes called peanut flour. I used Chike PB.

How to make Honey Yogurt Cubes: Stir together 1-6 oz container of plain Greek Yogurt (I used Fage 0%) and 2 Tablespoons of Honey till well combined. You can use SF Torani too. Spoon into ice cube tray and freeze. Makes 6-8 cubes.

Time Saver: I often make Smoothie Bags on Sunday to make the week's breakfasts easier. I place all the ingredients except the milk of course in a snack sized baggie and toss in the freezer. On a busy morning, pull a baggie out, dump in blender, add milk.

More Eggface Favorite Protein Shakes and Smoothies

I had company. One of the 2 cats that have adopted my yard was sun bathing next to me...

Dinner: I made my Crockpot Carnitas the yesterday and had some leftovers (about 2 1/2 cups) I took those added some Chicken Broth (1 box) some sauteed zucchini and yellow crookneck squash (2 small, sliced) and turned it into a soup. Topped it with grated Cotija cheese. Total Grandma comfort food.

More Eggface Healthy Mexican Favorites

Snacks: Coffee including a stop at Starbucks for a Soy Latte and since the line was short I had them jazz it up a bit. I ordered a Hot, Grande, Soy Latte with 1 pump of Sugar Free Cinnamon Dolce and 2 pumps SF Vanilla. It was perfect, very Christmasy (if that's not a word it should be.)

In the evening, I watched a DVR'd episode of The Amazing Race (my favorite show) I'm behind an episode (no spoilers, my favorite team this time is Bethanny (Soul Surfer) and Adam. While I watched I snacked on this...

Shelly's Monkey Cereal Snack Mix

1/4 cup Cheerios Cereal (I used the Multigrain Dark Chocolate Crunch ones)
6-12 Almonds (I used 6 Blue Diamond Salted Caramel Almond)
5-6 pieces of Freeze-dried Banana (not dried, freeze dried, found it at Trader Joe's)

Mix together.

More Days in my Pouch

post signature


jules deck said...

All sounds great!!! I thank you for your amazing ideas.

ginnie said...

how long does it take you to drink an entire protein shake?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

15-20 minutes. Now 8+ years out... 8 months... longer. 8 weeks... forever LOL well a long time, sipped for an hour or so. Also depends on how sturdy it is... banana, berries, more filling, pudding mix more filling. Some protein powders are thicker than others too and that makes a difference, also ice.

Monica said...

I just found your site off Pinterest. I find it so interesting! I can't wait to read the other posts! Thanks!