Friday, March 14, 2014

Post Weight Loss Surgery Menus: A day in my pouch

A day in my pouch is a series of blog posts (I try and post them every few days) to show what a typical daily menu looks like in my post weight loss surgery world. Yesterday's menu...

Breakfast: I had some mushrooms that needed using up so I sauteed them and they went on top of a scrambled egg with a sprinkle of cheese.


Lunch: I made a batch of one of my favorite salads to keep in the fridge. It only gets better and better as it sits. I added some chopped up, grilled chicken I had leftover from dinner the other night. I always throw an extra piece or two on the grill for salads or lunches later in the week.


I filled my bento box and went outside on the patio. I brought the computer outside and worked on a few projects and tried to avoid looking at all the weeding and tree trimming I need to do. I have been advised by my Dr's (PCP sent me to a hematologist) not to do too much physical stuff until I get my iron back up to snuff. I'm scheduled for a series of iron infusions next week. I'll let you know how that all goes. The malabsorptive component of RNY Gastric Bypass Surgery is a bit of a double edged sword. Despite taking all my vitamins faithfully and eating well (lots of iron rich foods) I am not absorbing it. Take this as a pubic service announcement: Get those labs done! Don't let it get super low like I did.


Pink Box (top left): Shelly's Garbanzo and Green Bean Salad
Green Box (top right): Sliced Strawberries
Blue Box (bottom left): Shrimp with Lemon and (in the little blue container) Cocktail Sauce
Orange Box (bottom right): a hunk of Cookies and Cream Quest Protein Bar

More Bento Box lunches, FAQ's and an Online Source for them

My Bento Pinterest Page

Dinner: I love these mini meatloaves. I make a lot of different version. This one with all the flavors of Middle Eastern Falafel is a favorite and will be in rotation for awhile for sure. I served it with Shelly's Greek Yogurt Hummus Dip (just equal parts Greek Yogurt and Hummus.) I didn't feel like anything else but it would be great with leftover bean salad above or


Shelly's Middle Eastern Mini Meatloaf

1(1.25 lbs) package Ground Turkey
1 Onion, chopped
1/4 cup Milk
1/4 cup Oatmeal, dry
1 Egg, beaten
2 Tablespoons Storebought Hummus (any flavor)
2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley, chopped
1 Tablespoon Fresh Cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
a dash of Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Saute onion till golden, set aside to cool. Soak oatmeal in milk for 1 minute (you can use almond meal or bread crumbs) Add cooled onions, soaked oats and all remaining ingredients to ground turkey. Mix till combined.


Divide into 8 equal mounds. Form into mini meatloaves or if you have this super groovy pan like me use it. I sprayed the pan with a little bit of Pam non-stick cooking spray.


Bake for 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven. These freeze well either cooked or uncooked.

More Mini Meatloaves

Snacks: Lots of coffee and some Boom Chicka Pop Sea Salt Popcorn while watching American Idol (which I am only watching for Harry Connick Jr.) Yum. Oh and the popcorn was yummy too ;)


More Days in my pouch.

post signature

12 comments:

Dani said...

Your food looks great! I am very appreciative of all your advice & recipes. I am currently awaiting my date for revision surgery from band to bypass and am trying to do my homework and be prepared for my new life. I love your blog!!! It is a huge help! Following on Pinterest also. Mahalo!

Mickie said...

I also am having a revision done on March 31. Band just did not work for me. I am kind of nervous. Dr says a revision is trickier than just doing sleeve or bypass. But I know I need to do it

Anonymous said...

I liked you on Facebook, but really I love you. Thanks for all you do. Connie_dawley@att.net

Anonymous said...

I love all your menus, they really help me keep on track since having my vertical sleeve. Thanks for all the inspiration.
staciep@hotmail.com.

Donna Smith said...

Thank you so much for all the menus I love this site I am on it every day keep p the good work
thanks Donna
soulmatex002@yahoo.com

Donna Smith said...

I love this site you do such great work for us that need
help thank you
Donna

Anonymous said...

Yum yum! You have been a blessing through my journey of bypass surgery... You have also helped my husband lose 60 pounds on his own! Can not thank you enough!! Nikole;
Cnkbphillips@gmail.com

Lisa Poland said...

I love following your blog and have some of your recipes in my rotation.
Thanks Lisa
lpoland814@gmail.com

Jaime Frates said...

My surgery is April 16 so 2 days away,I am exited and scared at the same time but cant wait to start my new life :)I know your website will help me so much and has helped me because I have made some of your recipes already:) Thank you so much for this site and your time ~ jaime
victoryismine78@gmail.com

Jen said...

I love your site and am so appreciative of all the time you invest to giving people creative ideas and ways to enjoy their new way of eating. I have learned so much about new ways to cook thank you so much!!!
Jennifer - Punkinwjen@aol.com

Anonymous said...

After my surgery in September, when I thought I would never be able to eat again and enjoy it, when I thought I would never be able to tolerate real food again, when I thought all hope was lost and regretting my decision, I found you. Now, down 83 lbs and loving my new life! More than you'll ever know...thank you.

Pennyhock@charter.net

Anne Wanty said...

I'm so excited that my cousin told me about you! I am only 12 days post-op, but feeling great (thank you Jesus). I have no doubt that your recipes and menus will be favorites. Thank you for giving us all insight from someone who has certainly been there!
<3 Anne hairchick42@gmail.com