1. Registration is now open for the 2nd webinar in the "Complexity of Obesity" fourteen-part educational series hosted by the Obesity Action Coalition (OAC) Obesity Prevention and Policy Management (Obesity PPM). The topic of webinar #2 is: Obesity and Addiction. It should be a pretty lively discussion. So many different theories. I have a strong personal opinion about the topic. Be sure to register for FREE to obtain the access code and then listen in on March 29th, 2012 at 8:00PM Eastern Time.
2. Walt Disney World is the happiest place on earth unless you are overweight or obese then it's a place of stereotypical stigma and bias. Not cool.
Check out Disney's hideous attempt at "helping" childhood obesity.
Sad, it sounded like a great idea but obviously they had no advisory committee working with them. I fear that the "crisis mode" we are in re: childhood obesity is making people act without thought.
I am assured the Obesity Action Coalition's Bias Busters team is on it. I will update you when I hear anything.
UPDATE: Someone at Disney pulled their head out of their... Get this... Habit Heroes Closes Following Negative Feedback. Hopefully version 2 will be helpful versus harmful.
3. Some articles I read this week that were worth checking out:
Positive media portrayals of obese individuals reduce weight stigma - Hmmm perhaps something Disney needs to read
Hospital pays $178M for false advertising, inexperienced doc - Ask LOTS of Q's!
Obese children outgrowing kids' clothing and furniture - A memory is what is left when something happens and does not completely unhappen.
Elementary School helping curb childhood obesity - AWESOME!
Can you get addicted to ice cream? Maybe, study shows - Try my alternative
50 Things to do Instead of Snacking - :)
4. As bariatric surgery patients (those of us with rearranged chitlins) it is absolutely essential that we take quality supplemental vitamins every day for the rest of our lives. Weight loss surgery dramatically alters your body's ability to absorb vitamins, minerals and nutrients. Not taking vitamins causes bad things. It's just not an option. I wanted to give everyone a heads up on a great Celebrate Vitamin product I think will help make vitamin taking easier by including an iron supplement instead of another pill...
Celebrate's Multi-Complete contains all of the vitamins and minerals that are in the original multivitamin formula PLUS 36 mg of iron daily. As always check with your medical posse on what is appropriate for your plan and remember... this product or any containing iron should NOT be taken at the same time as calcium to prevent absorption interference.
5. If you haven't entered this week's giveaway for the Bag of Love chock full of AWESOME weight loss surgery friendly favorites you have till Sunday, midnight, pacific time click here to add your name to the hat.
Every Sunday in the month of February (5th, 12th, 19th, 26th) a new I ♥ Giveaway begins. This Sunday is the last of the "I ♥" fun so I'm thinking the prize needs to be a BIG one! Plus, the blog just hit a pretty big milestone, the 7000 fan mark on Facebook, woot! Come back Sunday to get in on the celebration.
Promote Your Page Too