Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Cool New Product Alert: Chicken Burgers

Spotted these Amylu's Sweet Caramelized Onion Chicken Burgers with Red Bell Peppers and Gouda Cheese at Costco the other day and tossed a box in the cart. I love quick & easy protein sources like this because some days (yep even I have them) you just don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.

They sounded really yummy but I was leery. I always hate buying a big box of something I've never tried. My problem with frozen chicken products is that they usually taste and have the texture of little sponges but these are great and not spongy at all. I served them with some Cucumber Dill Refrigerator Pickles and sliced avocado. It was a great lunch. The burgers have little flecks of sweet bell pepper, caramelized onion and Gouda cheese. Really yummy.

They are all natural (breast & thigh meat), gluten free, no preservatives, no nitrates, no MSG, zero trans fat.

Nutritional Facts

Serving Size: 1 Burger
Servings Per Container: 10
Calories: 150 Calories from Fat: 60
Total Fat: 7.5 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 2 grams
Sugars: 1 gram
Protein: 22 grams

They are fully cooked. Just heat & serve. I pan seared them in a non-stick pan sprayed with Pam for a few minutes on each side. I was worried they would be dry but they were super moist and juicy. According to the box, you can also microwave them or grill them on the BBQ but I thought that might dry them out since they are fully cooked. Moisture is key to successfully eating meats post weight loss surgery.

They came in a box of 10 for $11.99 at Costco. The box contains individual pouches of 2 patties each. Once you open a pouch the burgers need to be used from the fridge within 3 days but you can freeze the pouches for up to 6 months. Just take them down into the fridge the night before you plan on using them.

If you don't have a Costco near you here's where you can email them perhaps they can direct you to a store that carries them near you. They are made by ATK Foods.

Verdict: Yum. Soooo good. They were very juicy and the flavor is great. I will definitely add these to my Pantry Essentials List. Give them a try.

If you are wondering about the Cucumber Dill Refrigerator Pickles those are great too. I've been getting 3 packs of Hothouse Cucumbers at Costco and I always have one sometimes 2 that I need to use before I want to use them. So I make a batch of these... they last at least a week in the fridge and make a great side with burgers, steaks, chicken, cold cut roll-ups.

Shelly's Cucumber Dill Refrigerator Pickles

1 or 2 Hothouse Cucumbers (aka English Cucumbers), sliced very thin
1 (2 oz.) jar Pimentos, drained
1/4 of a White Onion, sliced very thin
1/2 cup any Fruity Vinegar (Champagne, Tarragon, Cider but even plain White will work)
1/2 cup Water
1/2 cup Apple Juice or Cider
1/2 teaspoon Dried Dill
a dash of Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Mix all ingredients together, cover and refrigerate overnight. To serve drain solids from liquid. Drained they are also great mixed into Greek yogurt (sort of like a Tzatziki Sauce) and served with BBQ'd kabobs.

post signature


Waning Woman said...

I bought some of those a few months ago and I agree with you. They were so delicious that I went and got PT (the hubby) so that he could try them.

Kayla said...

These look great Eggy! thanks for the heads up.

paige said...

Ooh, looks yummy! I envy you your Costco :) We have a Samsclub, which really is pretty nice, but not the same kinds of fun foods :)

mama2reese said...

I need to pick these up!!! I am now "better" (had a bad go w/ a stricture) and am dying for different and fun lunch that are also easy at work. I can micro them :)

Maybe even keep a few in the freezer at work for those just-in-case days like today when I walked out w/OUT my shake :(

Anonymous said...

I bought the chicken burgers too but like you I was afraid to try them. Thanks for letting us know they taste good. I will try one tomorrow.

Kaitlin said...

I just picked some of these up at Cotsco this morning. Can't wait to try them!


Jason said...

Can you post the cholesterol and sodium content per patty? These sound so good but I'm on a heart-healthy diet. Thanks!

Amanda said...

I got the chicken meatballs (at Costco) by the same company and love them too.

Heather said...

I picked up a package of these at Costco today when I popped in to grab my Fage. They were demo-ing some pre-cooked frozen turkey meatballs that were yummy, so I grabbed a bag of those too!

Anonymous said...

These look great, I'm going to pick them up next time. They were demo-ing Aidell's chicken meatballs last weekend, and they were so-o-o good! I picked up some of them as well, I can heat up just the few I need.


Anonymous said...

trader joes has grilled chicken burgers as well... and they are great!

Anonymous said...

Bought these because your description sounded so good. OMG! I love them!!! I added some marinara sauce and a slice of Mozz cheese YUMMERS!



Heidi said...

Found these at my Costco yesterday and bought some. I am so excited - particularly on days when I work both my full time job and my part time job, I have a healthy quick option. Also bought some mango salsa... thought that would be a great topper.

Anonymous said...

Love your site and your give aways!


ljr1012 said...

I tried to find the Amylu's Sweet Caramelized Onion Chicken Burgers with Red Bell Peppers and Gouda Cheese in our local Costco. I finally contacted the manufacturer and found out that they are only sold on the West Coast. I was bummed. However, today, as I live on the East Coast, I was in my local Sam's Club and they have a grilled chicken burger made with caramelized onion and swiss cheese. I can't wait to try them! I will have to post the nutrition info for you later but I remember that they have 20 grams of protein per burger and 2 carbs!

Anonymous said...

OMG we picked these up at costco this last weekend. Made them last night in the broiler, used Sara Lee Sandwich Thins for buns. OMG OMG OMG all I can say is DELISH!!!!!! Probably one of the best burgers I've ever had. Still craving it the next morning! Im on weight watchers and this fits perfect into my plan!

sadie clark said...

I bought these at Costco and made them on a hamburger bun with greek tzatziki a yogurt dip, with thin sliced cucumbers and sliced red onions. OMG it was awesome and my daughters loved them too. Totally worth the purchse, just hope I can find them in other supermarkets not just Costco.

Mike D Techie said...

I got these at 2 different Costco in NY, they do sell them on the East Coast.

Diane Box said...


joanortl said...

Sold on east coast in Naples FL

Craig Faustus Buck said...

I just put them in the toaster oven and put them on a dark toast setting. Couldn't be easier. And Yummy!