Mmmushrooms

Dinner last night was soooo good. I picked up some big white stuffing mushrooms at the store. I was planning on making my Crab Stuffed Mushrooms (which are to die for) but when I got home I remembered I had taken down some ground turkey to defrost the night before. I debated chopping up my perfect stuffing mushrooms and making my Asian Lettuce Cups but it seemed sad after carefully picking out the best shaped stuffers.

This is what I came up with. OMG these rock! Make 'em.

Shelly's Mexican Stuffed Mushrooms

1 Yellow Onion, diced
2 Green Onions, diced
1 clove Garlic, minced
1/2 pound Ground Turkey
1 Tablespoon Southwest or Taco Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
1 (4 oz. can) Mild Green Chilies, drained
1/2 cup Cottage Cheese
1 Tablespoon Mayo
a few dashes of Hot Sauce to taste (I prefer Cholula)
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
1/2 cup Mexican Blend Cheese, shredded
12-15 Large Stuffing-size White Mushrooms

Clean and remove the stems from 12 to 15 Mushrooms. Chop up stems if not to woody. Set aside. Saute onions and mushroom stems till golden. Add turkey and cook till no pink is seen. Add garlic and seasonings and cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Add cottage cheese, mayo and hot sauce. Add to meat mixture.

Mix till well combined. Stuff mixture into mushroom caps. Arrange on a lightly oiled Pyrex dish or baking sheet. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

These would be great made ahead for a party and warmed up just before guests arrive. Perfect weight loss surgery friendly appetizer. Since size of mushrooms will vary, any leftover mixture would be great on a Tortilla Pizza or heated up with an egg for breakfast. I served these for dinner with a cucumber and homegrown tomato salad. It was a delicious and packed with protein meal.

Speaking of tomatoes. My garden is starting to produce a steady stream each day. Nicely staggered. Though I have a feeling next week I may be inundated. Here were the first little beauties of the season...

There is nothing like a just-picked, warm from the sun tomato. One of life's little pleasures.