Are you nuts?

Nuts are full of protein, vitamins, and yes FAT. Here's my (not a nutritionist just another post-op trying to make my way in the world) thoughts on Fat...

Our bodies need fat. It just needs to be consumed in moderation and selected wisely. There are definitely good fats (nuts, avocados, salmon...) and bad fats (trans fats found in some packaged foods, french fries, chips...) Good fats aid in digestion, deliver fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K), are great for skin, hair and nails, among other things. Bad fats well... they are just... bad.

Also fat = flavor. I eat yummy lip-smacking foods that contain fat in moderation and I'm happily satisfied with my portion. If I ate some non-fat icky-ness I'd be disappointed and longingly looking for my next meal. Don't be fooled either they take out the fat & add some equally bad-for-you ingredient something I'm sure will be the cause of a 3rd eye in lab rats 10 years from now.

With all things moderation is key. I try & limit my fats to 25% of my daily intake (50% protein, 25% complex carbs and 25% good fats.)

Here's one of the yummy ways I get my good fats. Mmmm a tablespoon of homemade nut butter and a sliced apple is one of my favorite afternoon snacks. I get my nut fix without reaching into a big bag of them which is always dangerous.

Shelly's Homemade Nut Butter

1 Tablespoon Raw Almonds
1 Tablespoon Raw Cashews
1 Tablespoon Brazil Nuts
1 Tablespoon Pecans
1 Tablespoon Macadamias
1 Tablespoon Pistachios
1 teaspoon Sunflower Kernels
1 teaspoon Flax Seeds
1 Tablespoon Almond Butter (any will do)
1 Tablespoon Peanut Butter (any will do)
1 Tablespoon Oil (Canola, Olive, Organic Coconut, all would work fine)

Whiz everything in a mini food processor till smooth & spreadable.

Great to spread on apple slices, apple cinnamon soy crisps or stirred into oatmeal. Makes a ton enough for several apples. Refrigerate unused portion.

You can make flavored nut butters by mixing in a dash of cinnamon, vanilla or any of the SF Torani Syrups (SF Strawberry or Raspberry Torani mixed in is yummy... like a PB&J) It's fun to make 1/2 the batch plain and half flavored.