Thursday, July 9, 2009

Muffin Morning

Had a banana that needed using and I was wide awake at 3AM so I decided I'd get up and make muffins. Mmmm there's nothing like starting the day off with the smell of baking bananas and cinnamon. Insomnia has it's benefits.

I made a Banana Nut Muffin a while back with Almond, Soy Flour and Oats which were yummy but I think I like this version with Spelt Flour even better. Oooh looks like I'll have to do a banana nut muffin side-by-side taste test. Yum!

Shelly's Banana Nut Mini Muffins (version 2.0)

3/4 cup Spelt Flour
1/2 cup Vanilla Protein Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
dash of Salt
1/4 cup Walnuts, chopped
2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
2 Eggs, beaten
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
4 Tablespoons Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla)
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 cup (1 large) Banana, diced

2-3 Tablespoons Unsweetened Banana Chips (or Unsweetened Coconut)
dash Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla)

Preheat oven to 350. Spray mini muffin tin with Pam and set aside. Mix all ingredients (except topping ingredients) together till combined. Spoon into muffin tin. Crush topping together in a snack size Ziploc. Sprinkle a little on the tops of each muffin.

Bake at 350 for 12 minutes or until a tester inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Remove pans from oven.

Allow to cool in the pan for 3 minutes. Transfer to wire cooling rack to cool completely. Store in a sealed container to keep them soft and moist. Makes 24.

A couple of these babies split open and smeared with No Sugar Added Strawberry or Blueberry Jam = Heaven.

I always freeze half the batch. I wrap them in plastic wrap and toss them in a gallon freezer Ziploc bag then take them out a hour or so before I want to eat them. To reheat: you can nuke them to warm them up but I love to slice them in half and toast them. They get yummy crispy edges. Nom nom nom.

It's a good morning. Hope yours is too.


Jennifer said...

These sound fabulous! I am actually eating some of your crock pot pork bbq right now. Thanks for all you do!

Freud'sCigar said...

How big is your freezer, LOL?

Also, I made Lemom Poppyseed "Donuts" the other day. Not bad!

MissMaryMac said...

These look fabulous! I wonder how they'd be if you mixed in some of that Lean Dessert Banana Nut Bread protein -- I might have to try it and let you know! Thanks for all of your inspiration as usual :)

Robin said...

DROOL!!! *slurp*

Yvette said...

I made these last night, but they did not rise like yours and I did not have as much batter....what could I have done wrong. I did leave out the coconut because I am not a fan. They taste good, but didn't seem to bake the same.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hope you guys enjoy them!


Freezer is pretty big but I use everything!


Baking powder? Is it old.

Put the coconut in you don't taste coconut... or you need to replace it with something for the bulk.

Hope that helps :)

RP said...

I've tried your banana nut muffins with banana and pumpkin - both super yumm...

Just tried it with one grated apple. Apple muffins - super yummm....

I'm gonna have a winter of super yumm muffins and that makes me so happy!

Thanks so much Michelle!


Rachelle said...

Eggy! These are so YUMMY!! Just made a 10:pm batch and added some golden rasins too. OMG. LOVE THESE! Thanks so much! :D

Sam said...

I made these tonight with banana protein. And instead of coconut I used rolled oats. (I can't stand coconut!)

And I added a few semi-sweet mini morsals instead of the nuts for a little treat. Mmmmmm!

Sally Mattingly said...

Shelly, Any idea how much protein in each muffin. Am still very new at this and am carefully tracking protin intake. I still do not have much of an appetite yet (it's been 9 mos since surgery)but these sound SO good I at least want to give it a try. Love your site! Thanks! sally~

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Sally, I don't put the nutritional info on my recipes because frankly that can vary so widely. I use full fat cheeses (the good stuff) others may use low fat or (horror) non fat, the % fat on beef, differences in packaged products, brands of protein, etc. will change the info dramatically. Also serving size will vary depending how far from surgery you are. Portions for each stage should be determined by your medical posse.

What I do when I need to find the nutrition info (on my recipes or any other) is go to a site like (nutritiondata, sparkpeople, etc.) type in each individual ingredient, this will give you cals, carbs, fats, protein gram totals, then divide those totals by the # of servings you get from the dish. It's not exact but it's close enough for me. When in doubt... print it out and bring the recipe to your Dr. or nutritionist for their thumbs up.

Anonymous said...

If I wanted to make 12 regular size muffins instead of the minis would ingredients vary at all and how long would you recommend cooking time? Same?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Not sure... my guess would be to double it and then watch near the original time for toothpick clean test but I haven't tried so... let me know how that works for you.

Diana Wu said...

Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your blog and recipes! Pancakes Bites is now a staple in our house! FYI: 1 Pancake Bite = 1 WW Points Plus, (or less) if made with healthy pancake mix!:-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelly, I made these tonight and they are wonderful. I would never guess they were protein!. I didn't do the topping but instead just added a walnut half on top. I am excited to have them for my breakfast tomorrow!. Love your recipes!!. Traci

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hi Traci, I am so glad they were enjoyed!!