1. Spotted these the other day on the shelf and I thought they would be great for those in the liquid phase pre-op or post weight loss surgery. Pacific Foods Organic Bone Broth has a lot more protein (approx. 9 grams of protein, 35-40 calories per 1 cup container) and frankly more flavor than plain chicken broth. They operate on our guts not our taste buds so something that tastes great is a bonus. I bought all the flavors: Turkey with Rosemary, Sage & Thyme, Chicken with Ginger, Chicken with Lemongrass and Original Chicken and have been sampling this week. I also love the packaging because you really don't want a whole lot at a time in those first few days post surgery and I love the twist cap closure. You can pour out a little in a microwave safe cup, warm and save the rest for later.
Good for post weight loss surgery traveling (road trips especially) as they are shelf-stable.
2. Another cool find this week were Earthbound Farms Smoothie Kickstart, no sugar added, fruit and veggie frozen medleys...
All you have to do is add milk or water and any other add-ins protein powder, sweeteners, cottage cheese or yogurt, etc. There are currently 2 medleys to choose from organic kale, blueberries, and strawberries or mango, peach, and carrot. There is enough fruits and veggies in the bag for several smoothies. They say the 8 oz. package will make 2 but I think it's more like 4-5. I barely put a dent in the bag for this one...
I just took a few of pieces of the Kale Berry Mix, some ice, a cup of milk, a scoop of Vanilla Protein Powder, a Tablespoon of Sugar Free Torani Vanilla Syrup and blended it. Yum. It's great to not have to clean kale (a very sandy veggie) and fresh strawberries have not been the greatest lately, frozen are usually picked at the ripest. I'll get them again.
More Eggface Protein Shakes and Smoothies
3. A few articles that crossed my radar this week that are worth a read...
Community rallies behind teen bullied on Facebook - She's beautiful and handled this all with great attitude and I know this has turned into a positive but lemme at those guys. 20 minutes. Grrr.
7 Tips to Help You Drink More Water - So hard in the winter for me, unless it's hot & brown.
Showing what it takes to burn calories helps teens make healthier choices
Preschoolers Affected by Obesity May Slim Down With Head Start - as part of my degree work in Child and Family Development I volunteered for a semester at a Head Start. It's a great program in many ways.
Lack of Exercise Is a Bigger Risk Factor Than Obesity in Premature Death - Keep moving! "Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe
Study suggests home cooking for a healthier diet - we know this but love to see studies confirm it.
15 Things Nobody Tells You About Losing Weight
and honored to be part of this group: Agents of Change in Obesity
Follow me on Twitter @Eggface for more articles of interest in health, weight, nutrition, emotional health and body image realm and of course some yummy food tweets as well.
4. The discounted room block for #YWM2015 The Your Weight Matters National Convention opens on January 20th. Sign-up for e-alerts www.ywmconvention.com to get all the 411 in your inbox as it is released in the next few months: hotel info, registration information, speaker announcements, scholarship info (YES! the OAC has committed to fund the scholarship program again this year) I am proudly serving as the Convention Chair so I hope to meet many of you in person.
The hotel is lovely, right on the Riverwalk and a short walk to The Alamo. The Obesity Action Coalition annual Strategic Planning Meeting to set the goals and programs for the year was held there this past weekend and I was able to tour the site. You are going to love it.
and I made it over to The Alamo...
I think my attire will be slightly different in August at convention. I'll leave the scarf at home.
5. Heads up: January is such a dull month. We need a little fun! Check back on Sunday when another Eggface Giveaway will begin.