Wednesday, April 16, 2014

No Bake Healthy Snack: Protein Balls "Truffles"

I've made these protein balls in various forms before. I call them "protein truffles" because they are so good they deserve a fancier name then protein balls. I've made chocolate protein truffles and a combo of chocolate and coffee protein... this time I used vanilla protein powder and rolled them in unsweetened coconut. I think they look like Easter Bunny tails. A perfect protein packed breakfast-on-the-go or snack when you are craving something sweet.

Shelly's Protein Balls "Truffles"

1/2 cup Almond Butter
2 1/2 scoops (60 cc scoop) Vanilla Protein Powder (any flavor or combo of flavors will do)
1 teaspoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (any flavor)
1/4 cup Chopped Nuts (I used a combo of pecans & almonds)
1/4 cup Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
1/4 cup-ish  Unsweetened Coconut for coating

Mix all ingredients except coconut together. It takes a minute or two of mixing to get it to come together but it will. Roll into quarter size balls. Roll into unsweetened coconut. Refrigerate. Makes 18-20 truffles. Keep refrigerated for several days or they can be frozen. They will defrost good as new in minutes in the fridge.

post signature


Danny Moore said...

Looks good, have to give them a try. How could you add peanut butter to them? Have some of the Chike stuff, was wondering.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hi Danny, The Chike PB Powdered Peanut Butter... that would be great to roll them in... Mmmm Chocolate ones with PB Powder... Ohhh as soon as these are eaten those will be made.

Jen said...

Can this be done with peanut butter instead of almond butter?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

I've not tried it Jen. Let me know if you do.

Anonymous said...

Do you know the nutritional value on these?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Nutritional value will vary based on what protein powder, almond butter (jars versus fresh ground have crazy variation), etc. you use but mine worked out to 130 cal/each, 9 g. protein, 4 g. carbs, per truffle. Go to sparkpeople or fitday and enter your brands into their recipe calculator. They are VERY dense and filling (think fudge/brownie texture) and 1-2 would be all anyone could eat.

Denise H. said...

I can't wait to try these. I needed a new Easter treat. Thanks! I always enjoy your cute holiday plates and decor. The egg plate is too cute. :-)

And the burrito bake looks to die for!

Dawn said...

I just made these and they're delicious! I used chocolate protein powder with chocolate Torani and peanuts. Yes, very dense! I'm thinking next time I'll use peppermint of coconut syrup.

Kacy Fletcher said...

Wow thank you for this recipe. I have been looking for a protein ball without dates as I have a fructose allergy. What else could I coat with other than the coconut?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hmmm maybe crushed nuts, cocoa, protein powder.