Post Weight Loss Surgery Menus: A day in my pouch

A day in my pouch is a series of blog posts (I try and post them every few days) to show what a typical daily menu looks like in my post weight loss surgery world. Yesterday's menu...

Breakfast: Sleepless night. I finally gave up staring at the ceiling, got up and baked another batch of Protein Oatmeal Squares. I was telling my neighbor about them so I set aside several and wrapped them up to take over to her to try. I wrapped  a couple of squares and tossed them in my purse. I wanted to walk before the Farmer's Market and then I usually grab a latte. I knew I'd be hanging out there a bit and once I could eat again (it's a post weight loss surgery thing some of us don't eat and drink at the same time) I'd have a yummy treat for me better and healthier anything in the Starbuck's bakery case.



Lunch: I had a few appointments and errands and found myself out till mid afternoon. For lunch I stopped at Rubio's (California-based but with locations in Southwest US, Mexican quick serve restaurant famous for Fish Tacos - a San Diego thing) and ordered my favorite Balsamic and Roasted Veggie Salad but instead of the grilled Chicken it comes with I ask to swap it out for grilled Tilapia fish. I get the dressing on the side. It's pretty low cal as far as dressings go but if you want to cut it even lower use some salsa from the salsa bar instead or just a squeeze of lime. I do a little of all three.


Strategies for Eating Out Post Weight Loss Surgery 

Dinner: I came up with this one pan dinner sometime while I was staring at the ceiling last night. Insomnia has it's benefits. This is delicious, a total comfort food dish. This will definitely be on permanent rotation.


Shelly's Chicken with Creamy Spinach and Chickpeas

1 pound-ish package of Chicken Breast Tenders (8-10 pieces)
1/4 cup Spelt Flour
dash or 2 of Sea Salt
2 Green Onions, chopped fine
1 - 15 oz. can Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 - 11 oz. package Birds Eye Lightly Sauced Creamed Spinach, cooked per package instructions
1/2 cup Chicken Broth
1 Tablespoon Za'atar Spice (Make your own or look for it in Middle Eastern supermarket section, spice shops, Williams Sonoma, online)
a few twists of Black Pepper
Olive Oil for sauteing

Pound the chicken (I use a wooden mallet, cover chicken with plastic wrap, place on a meat cutting board and give it a few whacks) to make it a little more flat and cook evenly. Place the flour and a dash or 2 of salt in a gallon Ziploc bag. Place a piece of chicken at a time in and shake till coated. Discard leftover flour (I love using a Ziploc bag versus a plate, you use less flour and it's an easy clean-up.)


Saute chicken in a Tablespoon or so of olive oil till golden on both sides. Add all remaining ingredients. Stir a bit to make sure everything is evenly distributed. Cover and cook till piping hot and bubbly about 5 minutes. I served it with sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese on top.

Snacks: Too much coffee as usual and for dessert a few chopped Strawberries, hunks of Pineapple and a dollop of storebought Pineapple Cottage Cheese.


More Days in my pouch.