Thursday, May 31, 2012

Disney After Weight Loss Surgery

I'm thinking about planning a trip to the happiest place on earth for my weight loss surgery pals in the Southern California area. It's in the preliminary stages just looking at web sites, costing things out, reading about group rates, etc. but be on the look out for a future announcement local pals. I want to retake this picture...



Me at Disney (before weight loss surgery)

I had this web site address saved in my favorites and wanted to share it for those of you headed to Disneyland or Disney World this summer. It's a great resource for general insider park info but I thought this link of all the Disney restaurant menus was particularly helpful for us post weight loss surgery people (AKA guts rearranged) and others looking for healthier meal choices.

I love to read the menus ahead of time that way you don't have to hold a line up or feel rushed to make a choice. On multiple occasions, I've had some snarly dude breathing heavy behind me as I asked a few extra questions about a menu item. This helps avoid that. On first glance here are a few of the post weight loss surgery friendly choices I spotted at Disneyland (Anaheim):

Main Street Fruit Cart (Main Street) or Toon Up Treats (Mickey's Toontown): Assorted fruits, fruit cups, hummus, veggie dippers, water

Bengal Barbecue (Adventureland): Chicken and Beef Skewers, have them ax sauces or put on the side, Veggie Skewers, Fruit Cups.

Clarabelle's (Toontown): Chef's Salad dressing on the side, Fruit Salad

Rancho del Zocalo (Frontierland): Citrus Grilled Chicken, Refried Beans, Grilled Veggies, Tropical Fruit.


The full service sit-down restaurants in the park and the buffets offer even more options (grilled fish, grilled chicken, veggies, etc.) though they are quite pricey $$$. Breakfast is pretty easy most of the breakfast places in the park have eggs, turkey sausage, fresh fruit, just steer clear of the powdered sugar covered beignets in New Orleans Square or potentially you'll be spending sometime in a new park called Dump City.

Also Kid's "Power Packs" are available at multiple locations around the park (string cheese, nonfat yogurt, sliced apples, bottled water or milk, etc.)

You can also bring your own food (opportunity to pack that super cool bento box) here's the park policy on that: "Guests with food allergies or intolerances are allowed to bring food items into any Disney theme park. Please inform the Security Cast Member at bag check that someone in the party has a food allergy or intolerance." A Dr's note goes a long way too.

Some of my current favorite protein snacks to toss in my purse: Almonds, Quest Protein Bar, Oh Yeah or Premier Protein Ready to Drink Shakes, Beef Jerky, Apples with Peanut or Almond Butter, Crunchamame Edamame Snacks, a scoop of Protein Powder or travel packet in a snack sized baggie stuck inside my blender bottle shaker.

More Tips:
Eating Out Post Weight Loss Surgery
Post-op Traveling Tips
More Post-op Traveling Tips

post signature

12 comments:

Heather said...

I loved Disneyland! When we were there two years ago our motel across the street offered breakfast with boiled eggs, fresh fruit, oatmeal and other cereals. They also had the sugary danishes etc but you could stock up on fruit etc. We also had no trouble brings fruit and water into the park. They were really accomodating! I hope you have a great trip when it happens!

Raelene said...

I am so excited for this post. My famIly and I are planning a vacation to Disney World in August. At the time of our trip I will be 4 months post op.

Lisa said...

I am a Disney Travel Agent (and faithful reader of your blog). If you need ANY help let me know. Lisa@PixieandPirateDestinations.com

Anonymous said...

I went last October and lost weight. I think it was all that walking. THe DIS boards helped a lot too.
I can't wait to see your picture retake.
Deb Here is a link to that board...
http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Julie said...

We were at Disneyland in March..had a wonderful time! At the sit down restaurants and buffets, I was able to use a card my surgeon gave us, that requests us to be able to order off the kids or seniors menu. It really helped as the restaurants are pretty expensive. I came from out of state, so instead of traveling with my RTD protein, I ordered a case and had them ship it directly to our hotel. I made sure how the hotel wanted the shipping label, and it was there waiting for me when we arrived!! We had a memorable time that I will treasure!!

carol said...

Love this I am 2 weeks post-op and my husband and I are part of the vacation club. we have been trying to figure out how to go without the meal plan, etc. I'll use your tips for Jan went we go.

Kathy C. said...

LOVE Walt Disney World! Haven't been to Disneyland, but considering a trip next year. I'll be interested to see what foods are available for us to fuel all that walking around! Have a great time and give us all the juicy details!

Catracks said...

If you do get a Disneyland trip together, I would love to go. I would love to meet other So. Cal. WL pals! Cars at California Adventure might be open by then. I went twice on a two day park hopper in May and I did have a little trouble trying to find foods inside the parks. Downtown Disney was a lot easier. Catal was my choice although it's expensive. ESPN zone has some good choices too. I even went to Roxy and got my first bikini top in years! It fits!!!!

Cynthia said...

I've had the opportunity to visit Disney World 3 x in the last couple of years. Any one who enters the park with a bag needs to go through back check stations, but no one ever bothered us about bringing in food. We didn't even have to state that someone had a food allergy. If you stay on property, you can ask for a fridge for your room if it doesn't come with one. Just let them know you have meds/items that need refrigeration. They let me have it with out an additional fee. It may be different for every hotel, but worth checking out. We would make a trip to the grocery store to stock up on healthy staples for breakfast, snacks & lunches. Of course there were times we wanted to but a meal, but that was the exception or could splurge on dinner or momentos. More $$ for what you really want.

If Only She Were Thinner said...

I have an annual pass to Disneyland (usually go once a month) and go to Disney World at least once a year. I can offer tons of tips for both before and after weight loss surgery. I can even tell you where to get the best water fountain water so you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for bottled water.

Cynthia said...

Just came across this post today. What timing as I just came back from a week at WDW. We have never had a problem bringing in or own food. Everyone just has to do a bag check for security reasons. The Kid packs are great for snacks in your bag when you forgot to pack any or were running low. We were at a special event, so took that opportunity to stock up on "supplies" for our bags. Those came with yogurt, carrots, apple slices, little sammy jammy (kinda like a small breakfast bar) and a drink. At the many fast service places, I was able to order kids meals without explanation. For $5 you could get a smaller portion of a meal plus a drink!

Unknown said...

Not sure if you remember me, we met at a Starbucks at the WLSFA Conference this spring in San Diego. We are literally driving to Disneyland as I speak, well hubby driving right now. We will be there w I th my grown kiddos and grandbaby to celebrate my 50th Birthday on Wednesday. I am SO thrilled at all the suggestions and the link to the menu's.. I'm looking forward to riding Indiana Jones without it killing my oversized hips!!