Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Whole Enchilada

Well sort of, just in bite size or weight loss surgery friendly portion form. I was jonesing for Mexican food and this totally fit the bill.

These make great party appetizers or as a lunch or dinner with a veggie, sliced cucumbers or a simple green salad. A great use for leftovers or pre-plan by throwing an extra chicken breast on the BBQ to make this the next day.


Shelly's Mini Enchilada Cups

3-4 Tortillas
1/2 cup Cooked Chicken
2 Tablespoons Red Enchilada Sauce
1/4 teaspoon Oregano
1/4 cup Refried Beans
2-3 Tablespoons Shredded Cheese

Optional toppings:
Hot Sauce or Salsa
Guacamole
Shelly's Cilantro Lime Yogurt Dip

Spray mini muffin tin with Pam non-stick cooking spray. Using a biscuit or cookie cutter (or 1/3 cup metal measure) to cut circles from tortillas.

You'll need 3 or 4 depending on the tortillas you use. I used Mission Carb Balance Whole Wheat, fajita size tortillas and needed 4 but had lots of leftover bits. Discard the trimmings (or feed them to the ducks, they surprisingly liked them.) Place the cut circles in the muffin tin and bake for 5 minutes at 375.

Mix chicken (or you could use leftover cooked turkey or beef), sauce (I used Old El Paso brand), and oregano together. Spoon about a teaspoon of beans in each tortilla. Top with a tablespoon of the chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.

Continue baking at 375 for 5 more minutes until cheese is melted and golden. Remove from tin. Top with optional toppings.

Shelly's Cilantro Lime Yogurt Dip

1/4 cup Greek yogurt (2% plain)
1 Tablespoon Cilantro, chopped fine
squeeze of Lime juice
dash of Kosher Salt

Mix together. Also great to dip meat, fish, veggies or thinned with a little more lime juice and used as a salad dressing.

This gringa declared it delicioso! Despite having several surgeries in Mexico I can only speak a few words of Spanish. The basics... hello, goodbye, good morning, thank you, please, pain (helpful when traveling for surgery) and from my college years... una cerveza, por favor and after saying that a few times I needed... Dónde está el baño?

I can actually say that last phrase in 4 different languages 'cause you just never know where and when nature will call ;)

post signature

6 comments:

felkatz said...

this looks good..I may try.. I"m on my 3rd year being banded .so far its not working for me.. Or shall i say i'm not letting it work for me.. So i'm going to really try to make it work..

Love your blog!!
kathy

ESleeve said...

Already made them today! I was making a taco soup and thought these would make a good accompaniment for my bottomless pit boyfriend :) Big hit. I really love how your recipe ideas are often so customizable, especially since I am on week 4 of my sleeve, so I'm not quite 100% with all foods yet. Thanks so much, and keep 'em coming!

ilovecake said...

Oh thank you for posting this! I grew up in SoCal, and went to college in Southern New Mexico., so I love me my mexican food I live in central Ohio now, and although we have good mexican places, the portions are so big that my 1 year old sleeve cannot take it! I am also running out of ideas for stuff to make at home and I am getting a bit sick of fajitas and tortilla soup.

Valerie Mudd said...

These little enchilada cups were fantastic!! Even my non-WLS husband gobbled them down. Great recipe! I'll have dinner for a few days as I could only eat 2 at a setting. If I can keep my hubby outta them. I tore up the extra tortillas and threw them in our local pond full of catfish. Waste not want not! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, thank you!!! I made a batch yesterday and had them for dinner and lunch today. Very delicious!!!
Julie, jak227@verizon.net

Michele Jordan said...

Do you think this will work with corn tortillas?