New Orleans Recap - First Trip to the Big Easy

Back from the weekend in New Orleans. Good Times. I was a good girl despite it being a vice paradise. Ate a few delicious and weight loss surgery friendly meals, low carb, high protein, steered clear of the multitude of not so good choices with no feelings of regret, the only crap calories I had was one booze drink but I walked a lot so I made up for it and drank way more water than I usually do. I'm proud of myself. Woot.

Here's how my weekend looked...

Thursday Breakfast: Shelly's Banana Foster Protein Shake and a Cheesestick on route to the airport
Thursday Lunch: Nuts and an Apple Pie Quest Protein Bar in the air
Thursday Dinner: Crab Appetizer and Spinach Side at Red Fish Grill
Snacks: Lots of coffee

Friday Breakfast: Starbucks Sugar Free Cinnamon Dolce Soy Latte, No Whip
Friday Lunch: Muffaletta Soup at K-Paul's
Friday Dinner: Corn Crab Bisque and Chargrilled Oysters at Acme Oyster House
Friday Late: Cherry Lifesaver Drink at Bourbon Cowboy
Snacks: Lots of coffee including a cup of Cafe Du Monde's famous coffee (no beignets) and Cheese and Salami in the Hotel Club Room

Saturday Breakfast: Starbucks Sugar Free Cinnamon Dolce Soy Latte, No Whip
Saturday (conference provided) Lunch: dollops of Egg Salad, Chicken Salad, Garden Salad and a bag of Kay's Naturals Cookie Bites
Saturday Dinner: 2 oz. of a 4 oz. Filet Mignon, Sauteed Mushrooms, 2 Prawns at Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse
Snacks: Lots of coffee, Cheese and Salami in the Hotel Club Room

Sunday Breakfast: Starbucks Sugar Free Cinnamon Dolce Soy Latte, No Whip
Sunday Lunch: Nuts and a Wild Berry Quest Protein Bar in the air
Sunday Dinner: Home Sweet Home. I couldn't wait to try and recreate the Muffaletta Soup I had at K Pauls...

Shelly's Muffaletta Soup

1 head of Cauliflower, cut into florets and parboiled
1 Yellow Onion, diced
1/2 cup Smoked Ham, chopped
1/4 cup each Mortadella and Genoa Salami, chopped
1/4 cup Olive Tapenade (storebought or make it yourself)
1 1/2 teaspoons Creole Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Dried Oregano
1/2 cup shredded Provolone Cheese
1 cup Chicken Broth
1 cup Milk

Boil cauliflower in salted water till fork tender but not falling apart. Drain and set aside. Saute onion till golden. Add meats, cauliflower, tapenade and seasonings. Saute till slightly golden.

Add remaining ingredients. Whiz with immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender.

Simmer for 15 minutes on low, stirring occasionally. Leftovers are delicious reheated. This is just as yummy as the original if I do say so myself.

My overall review of NOLA... great people, great food, great music. I would have probably enjoyed the nightlife more in my 20's, getting too old to party hard.


Only con... a little scary in parts, the freaks come out at night. Speaking of freaks. I did kiss an alligator...



Loads more pics and stories coming. I've got to download, upload, scan and all that good stuff still.