Game Day Grub

Are you ready for some football? Here's a couple of my favorite high protein, low carb game day snacks for the football fans out there. Perfect for Monday Night Football get togethers, weight loss surgery friendly but your non-op friends and neighbors watching the game will never know.

I took my Deviled Eggface Footballs and bumped up the protein and yum factor even more by adding crab.

Healthy Football Party Tailgate Super Bowl Snacks
Shelly's Deviled Eggface Crabby Footballs


7 Hard-cooked Eggs
2 Tablespoons Greek Yogurt
1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
6 oz. can Crab Meat, drained
1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
dash of Creole Seasoning
Green Onion for laces

Hard cook eggs. Cool. Remove yolks and mash with above ingredients. Spoon back. Add green onion football laces. Refrigerate up to one day ahead.


Leave a few of these in the kitchen to ensure you get your share. They will disappear quick....

Tailgating Football Party Snacks Protein Paleo
Shelly's Pigskin Poppers (Bacon Wrapped Sausages)

Mini Cocktail Hot Dog Sausages
Bacon slices
Optional: Sugar Free Maple Syrup

Cut the bacon slices in half. Wrap a half of bacon slice around the mini sausage (or a regular Hot Dog cut in 1/3 pieces.) Place seam side down on a baking sheet that has been covered in foil. Trust me foil the pan, it really helps the clean up. Optional: You can drizzle SF Maple Syrup on the sausages or use maple bacon. I usually do half with maple and half without. Broil in the oven until golden about 14 minutes total. Flip the sausages once to ensure even cooking on both sides. Can be made in advance and reheated in oven, toaster oven or skewer several together and reheat on the grill when tailgating. I serve them with Shelly's BBQ Yogurt Dip (moisture and protein, a win-win for post weight loss surgery folks.)

Shelly's BBQ Yogurt Dip

1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
1 Tablespoon BBQ Sauce
dash Creole Seasoning

Mix together till well combined.

I use the real deal BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Rays is a fav.) I've seen Low/No Sugar sauces but I find they add a bunch of chemicals you can't pronounce so I figure the amount of sugar over 1 T in a whole recipe of dip is the lesser of two evils. If you are really sensitive to sugars post-op though skip the dip or find an alternative.

I was super impressed with the enthusiasm of the New Orleans Saints fans while I was in NOLA. I was at a restaurant while the game was on and everyone ran into the bar to cheer when they were making a run, wait staff, patrons, cooks from the back, men, women, everyone. The priority was clear. We just don't get that excited about our teams out here, makes me sad for our San Diego Chargers maybe they would do better if they were shown that kind of love. So Chargers I dedicate these yummy snacks to you.