Thursday, December 17, 2009

Pinecone Cheese Ball

Saw this at a potluck thing I went to recently and had to recreate a weight loss surgery friendly version just 'cause it was so darn cute.


Shelly's Pinecone Cheese Ball

4 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup Italian Blend Cheese, shredded (Parmesan, Fontina, Mozzarella blend)
1 whole head of Roasted Garlic Cloves (Here's How To Roast Garlic)
2 Green Onions, diced
dash of Kosher Salt
1/2 cup Pecans (try and score unbroken ones)
a sprig of fresh Rosemary

Mix all ingredients together (except nuts and rosemary) till thoroughly combined. Form into an oval shape.

Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour. Starting from the bottom working up. Arrange pecans to cover cheese oval completely. Add a sprig of rosemary at top for greenery. Serves: oodles of people.

You can make this a day in advance for a party just don't add the nuts then an hour or so before the get-together arrange those so they stay crunchy. Want a quicker version you can use storebought flavored spreadable cheese (Alouette makes one) instead of the roasted garlic & cream cheese in the recipe. I like to make my own so I know what's in it and homemade is always better ;)

Serve with a variety of dippers: celery, cucumber slices, baby carrots, soy crisps, snow peas, bell pepper strips, apple slices, etc.

"Make every day a holiday and celebrate just living!"

10 comments:

Vixen said...

That is the cutest thing!!!

Anonymous said...

I make one with a blue cheese ball. Beat 1 package of cream cheese, 2 tbsp butter and 3-4 oz of blue cheese together until smooth. Stir in 2 small cans of sliced black olives. Form into a ball (or pinecone) and roll in chopped walnuts. It's soooo yummy.

Morgan said...

Well, I trusted you on the lunchbox, and now I ordered the Max Protein. I hope I like it!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know where to post this, but I can't find the Max Protein that you rave about. Have they changed the container? My email is anl_ky @hotmail.com Thanks for your help!!! Ashley

Di said...

Adorable! I am getting quite a collection of cheeseball recipes...from sweet to savory! Do I see a theme party in my future?!?

Big Mickey said...

Just the visual of this thing is the coolest ever. You're MAD I TELL YA MAD!!! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!

Anonymous said...

very cute! i made my own wls friendly cheese ball for thanksgiving. you take some ff cream cheese, add shredded cheese, and a packet of ranch dressing mix. you can add ham, jalepenos, green onions, anything you want to them and then cover it with a healthy nut. it's delicous!

Allie (Protein Girl) said...

I'm totally making this for my Tacky Christmas Sweater Party tomorrow!

Kendra aka The Meanest Momma said...

My grandma use to make one. I'm not sure what she used to make the cheese ball part, but she used sliced almonds as the "bark".

I may try yours (w/almonds)!

NewLife09 said...

I made this cheese ball for Christmas and everyone LOVED it...(even though mine looked more like a pineapple lol) but man it was so tasty and there was nothing left after everyone got to it. Thanks for posting, I will definitely be making this again