Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Healthy Snacks: Apple Pie Protein Balls

Need an afternoon protein packed, pick-me-up to make it through the day or a sweet-tooth satisfying, weight loss surgery friendly treat when running errands?

Try these: Shelly's Apple Pie Protein Balls.

I was messing around in the kitchen last week and this recipe was the result. I love them and all the non-ops I've shared them with love them too. In fact, word of caution, you might want to hide your portion of balls in the fridge behind an old jar of sauerkraut or pickled beets or something because they will get gobbled up. They taste like Fall.

Weight Loss Surgery Bariatric Diabetic Fitness Workout Snack Food WLS VSG RNY

Shelly's Apple Pie Protein Balls 

1/2 cup Dehydrated Apples (you want the crunchy dehydrated type, not dried)
3 Dates, whole, pitted
1/4 cup Protein Powder (any flavor)
1/4 cup Oatmeal, dry
1/4 cup Coconut Flour
1 Tablespoon Apple Pie Spice
1/4 cup Sugar Free Torani Syrup (any flavor, I used SF Caramel)
2 Tablespoons Almond Butter

Whiz everything in a mini food processor till mixture comes together like a soft dough. Roll into quarter sized balls. Makes 16-18.

Weight Loss Surgery Bariatric Diabetic Fitness Workout Snack Food WLS VSG RNY

You can store balls in a container in the fridge for about 2 weeks (they won't last that long)  You can also freeze them and pull one out 1/2 hour or so before you want to eat it. Toss a frozen ball in a snack-sized baggie when you are headed out and about and by the time you need it it'll be defrosted.

Weight Loss Surgery Bariatric Diabetic Fitness Workout Snack Food WLS VSG RNY

I made a batch for my neighbor and put them in those Chinese food take out containers.

Weight Loss Surgery Bariatric Diabetic Fitness Workout Snack Food WLS VSG RNY Food Gifts

More Eggface Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Snacks (Sweet & Savory)
More Eggface Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Fall Recipes

19 comments:

Lois said...

What do you think I could substitute for the almond flour if I don't have any? These look really good!!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Lois, There is no almond flour in this one... almond butter... any other nut butter would be fine though I think peanut butter would change the taste dramatically. If you meant coconut flour unfortunately that one is harder... I'd wait and get some. It's extraordinarily absorbent and so you'd have to mess with liquid as it would need way less. Hope that helps :)

Elizabeth Dayag said...

Shelly, I'm allergic to nuts... Got a substitute for the nut butter? Thanks!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

2 Tablespoons of something sticky... can you do Sunflower Seed or Soy Nut Butter? I haven't tried it but it would probably work... let me know how it goes.

Jennifer Cavanna said...

Sunflower seed butter is amazing - imagine it would be great in this recipe

gbarron56 said...

where do you get all these different nut butters and df syrups?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Almond butter is in the peanut butter section of most any supermarket, or Walmart or Costco.
The SF Syrups there is a link in the recipe for an online source (amazon) or in supermarkets down the coffee aisle, on the top shelf usually will have a few basic flavors SF Vanilla and SF Caramel maybe. Walmart has a few. Smart & Final. World Market.

Heather said...

Oh wow these look delicious!!

Unknown said...

sub for yhe coconut flower?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Unfortunately, coconut flour has no substitute... unlike other flours it is EXTREMELY absorbent so if you were to change out the flour for say almond flour it would take probably double and then calories would add up. It's pretty available (and it doesn't taste like coconut when its in a recipe if you dislike coconut) nowadays... online source http://amzn.to/2g9eAmU Hope that helps.

Kathy Sinnard said...

I used almond flour and it worked fine. However the balls were a bit sticky but they tasted great!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks for sharing that Kathy.

Anonymous said...

What do the nutrient break down look like? How many calories, protein, carbs etc.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

That would depend on the products you use... my protein powder may be different from yours, different product brands... google recipe calculator... enter your stuff, divide by how many balls you make :)

Kelli Willoughby said...

I made these today and they are fantastic I had to substitute pumpkin pie spice for the apple pie spice(did not know I had used all of mine) they are now in the fridge setting up. Is it ok for me to share this recipe on my site that I share with other post-op and pre-ops from the hospital where I had my surgery done. It is a closed group and I know they would love these as much as I do.

K

Michelle "Shelly" said...

If you'd share the link to the blog with it I'd appreciate it Kelli. So glad they were enjoyed!!

Ellen Black said...

These are delicious. I ordered the food processor from the link you provided and it came today. I was missing the apples from the ingredients list, and used cinnamon in place of the spice. The are amazing ! I never made something like this for myself. Really enjoyed it. And they are in the fridge. Will be making them again for sure.

Ellen Black said...

I been making these and the are wonderful ! I love that little processor also.

One time I wanted to make them, but had no dates,dry apples, or almond butter. I substituted 1/4 cup dry roasted almonds, and an apple. The apple made the mixture nice and moist. I ground them up first. I also have been adding different cinnamon. I went to a spice store. Sometimes I add vanilla. Also have used stevia in place of the syrup. This is a fun recipe to experiment with. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Bulk barn has literally everything!