Saturday, February 2, 2013

Changes

Found this before picture the other day that never has made it's way on to the blog (not my highest weight, this is about 20ish pounds lighter) and I took the now picture yesterday. Wearing red in honor of National Wear Red Day. My Pop died of heart failure (obstructive sleep apnea/obesity related) at 67 years old so I was representing.


The Left: On 8 prescription medications for severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea, severe Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, High Blood Pressure, and the aches and pains of carrying around 150+ extra pounds. Visiting Dr's several times a month, $$$ thousands of dollars a year in co-pays.

The Right: Off all medications, all co-morbidities resolved, haven't been to the Dr. for anything more than routine stuff in 6 1/2 years. Take note employers that don't want to cover weight loss surgery, seems like a no-brainer to me.

"Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change" ~Arthur Burt

post signature

11 comments:

Nkara said...

fantastic and inspirational transformation.

Linda said...

You look great! You're an inspiration. I'm almost four weeks post-op.

Question--what prescription medication were you on for sleep apnea? I've used a CPAP machine for almost four years now and have done alot of reading about treatment, but never heard of a medication for it.

Karen said...

This is an awesome tribute to your dad. Wearing red helps us remember and taking action makes us change.

I salute you on reversing your medical conditions and living life without chronic diseases.

The $$ for medical care was a key driver in my weight loss and my efforts at weight maintenance.

Great work. :) Karen P

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thank you guys.

***

Linda, No meds for apnea just CPAP machine, well none that I was on. 8 Meds were for GERD, High BP, High Cholesterol, body aches, migraines, etc. :(

Bariatric Betty said...

You go Shelly! Reversing my diabetes was my major motivation for the surgery and I was one of the lucky ones where it happened the day of surgery. Almost one year post-op, I'm at goal, happy & healthy! Thanks for the continuing inspiration and support :)

Mindy said...

Love the sassy pose of you in red... keep on keeping on girl..you are inspiring us all..Thanks

Julie said...

Awesome!! I can't understand why WLS isn't covered either..diets don't work, USA had obesity problem, overweight employees miss more work than thinner people due to the health issues directly related to obesity and cost employers more money...seems like a no brainier to me also.

Allyson said...

You inspire me every time I see a new blog post pop up from you. I am just over 18 months after having RNY, and I am struggling a lot. But every time I see your posts, and can almost "hear" your voice in my head pushing me to do it for ME, I remember what it is all about.

Thank you for this!

Mel said...

Thanks for the awesome and ongoing inspiration. You rock!

Nikki609 said...

Freaking fabulous! Amazing transformation...congrats!

DeLynn Dellarosa said...

That is amazing! I am going on 3 years out and have gained some back. I need to get back on track, you truly are an inspiration!