Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Challenge Mean!

Today James Zervios, Director of Communications for the Obesity Action Coalition wrote a blog entry on the Obesity Action Coalition Blog that made me recall an incident I wanted to share with all of you...

Pre-weight loss surgery I was walking in a mall and I heard a group of teenage boys making moo-ing sounds. I still can remember the sadness and hot feeling that took me over. I tried to pretend I hadn't heard it, that they weren't talking about me though the fingers pointing in my direction removed much doubt. I looked straight ahead and put a little more spring in my step to get away. I left the mall, sat in my car and cried. I was having a pretty great day till then. I was getting my exercise in by walking the mall because it was raining out and then BAM, those boys happened.


Challenge Mean.

When you come across weight bias, hate and nastiness whether on a thread on Facebook, in a newspaper article, on a TV show, in line at the grocery store, please challenge it. Those boneheads that spewed the nasty may not get it or care but somewhere there is a girl sitting in a car crying that would say thank you. She was not strong enough then to do it herself but... I AM NOW!

post signature

P.S. More than 2/3 of adults - 190 million people - are overweight or obese. In fact, chances are one of those boy's mom, sister, grandmother, uncle, or pop are one of those 190 million.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had something similar happen to me. I was at college and I was watching the sunset on the Hudson river. It was so beautiful and peaceful. I was walking back to my dorm and this group of boys (I say boys, but they were college age students) drove by and one of them screamed "Ahoy! Land whale!" I was just crushed. Why are people so awful and senseless? It's not like I wanted to be that way! I like this challenge. I've always been someone to not confront, but this has to change! There are so many people who are overweight or obese these days. There is no need to be treated like second class citizens or as if we're invisible!

jennxaz said...

your story rings true to me too...same thing happened to me..I never did anything.

Tamera said...

I was paid a "compliment" last year-the college judo instructor and I were talking and I mentioned I might take it up for self-defense 'cause it seemed relatively easy on my joints. He told me I didn't need to, "all you have to do is fall on them and with your bulk, you'd rupture his spleen! I pity the poor bastard who takes you on-you'd wipe the floor with him"
Um, thank you?

blurose_in_ok said...

When I was still not at goal weight a few years ago, I was training for my first 5k and was a little heavier than now and I overheard 2 very large women laughing at me and joking about me being too big to run. I wanted to be mad. I was embarrased. I wanted to throw in the towel. How DARE these big women say that? BUT my stubborness and determination won out and I was able to keep training and do that 5k. And my appreciation today is for those 2 women. They made me more detemined and with the memory of those laughs ringing in my head .... I finished my goal. So sometimes it is people that are in the same boat as we are, that bring us down as well.

sarahmcdermott said...

All the nasty teasing needs to stop. It's not just bullying overweight people that is wrong. It's ALL bullying that needs to stop. Keep up your hard work in challenging the norm, Shelly. Teasing gay people is no longer the norm. Teasing mentally challenged/ill people is no longer the norm. Teasing overweight people should no longer be the norm, too. Teasing just has to stop.

Bariatric Betty said...

Amen!

Tracy @ www.mytinytank.net said...

I too had similar experiences. Today I am highly sensitive to those around me. Especially those who share my obesity experience. I don't ever want others to feel like I did. This is a good challenge. Thank you

Sophie L. Barnes said...

Wow, I just read your full story. You are very inspiring. My experience has been with people not supporting my desire to loose weight. They would roll their eyes and laugh ! "ya, again she is trying to loose the weight!" Very rough when you don't have the support of the people you would normally count on.

Christine Kelley said...

Hey, Shelley! This is the first time I am blogging on your blog :)
In the sixties in grammer school, the boys would follow me home pretending the earth was shaking when I stepped. If I knew then what I know now...I wasn't even that big, but the prejudice was really bad then. I am stronger for it all now.
I "liked" eggface on Facebook, but I LOVE you in real-life. You do what most of us want to, but can't. Thanks! I just had the vertical sleeve and am having trouble losing the weight. I new I would, I'm a slow loser. No matter, it will happen. I let it go on for years, it can come off for years. Your recipes help.

Anonymous said...

This rings so true. I remember a time when I was not strong enough to stand up for myself and all the times I would cry. Now when I hear people saying things about someone over weight, I finally stand up.